Lisa the Librarian's Reviews > The 4:8 Principle: The Secret to a Joy-Filled Life

The 4 by Tommy Newberry

Feb 26, 12

Recommended to Lisa by: Missy Hamilton
Read from February 17 to 24, 2012

I tend to approach "religious" books that are written by non LDS authors a bit skeptically at times, because the author's understanding and my understanding of the same principles can vary so widely. This book was recommended by the new principal at our school so I decided to give it a try.

I will confess that prior to reading it and also a few times during the reading I prayed that I might discover the truth in it and incorporate things from the book that I am supposed to, but be able to discern and discard that which was not truth in my highest good.

I was happy to find mostly good and truth in this little book. Based largely on the Bible, the name 4:8 comes from the Bible verse Philippians 4:8, this book covers a lot of really good and useful material on how to discover joy in your life. I plan to go back through it at some point and pull more of the suggested activities and practice more fully into my daily life.

One thing that I was a bit put off by was that the author used many different versions/translations of the Bible. Even in the same sentence. I was thinking, "Dude! Just pick a version and stick with it." It kind of led me to question if he was "tweaking" the scriptures to suit his needs... bu just looking for back up of what he wanted to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new) - added it

Tiffany I'm always glad for your informative reviews, they are so helpful. I've been considering reading this book, but I couldn't find it at my library. Did you happen to buy yours? Just thinking if I should check another library system... I will be interested to read your comments when you finish this book!

Lisa the Librarian Thanks for the kind words about my reviews. I checked the copy I read out from the Provo City Library.