Jackie's Reviews > One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story

One Dog at a Time by Pen Farthing

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: favorites, the-miracles-of-santo-fico
Read from March 01 to 11, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect when I began reading Saving Cinnamon. This book is not just another rescue dog/American soldier story. It is its own unique story because this dog gets lost on her way home to be with the soldier and his wife who have adopted her. The author of this book is the sister of the soldier who rescued Cinnamon. He had made previous arrangements to bring her home safely from Afghanistan but a dog handler failed this poor dog and he failed this soldier, too.

I am wondering how do you find a lost dog in a war theater? But Christine Sullivan took on this immeasurable task, kept hitting the keys on her keyboard to send emails and made the calls necessary to set up an incredible "find and rescue" mission that just simply amazes me.

The war in Afghanistan is horrible so I am glad that soldiers are finding something redeemable in this tragedy by reaching out to dogs and bringing them home to the United States.

Christine Sullivan takes us every step of the way on her journey to find Cinnamon and to bring her home. When I read the excitement that surrounded Cinnamon's arrival in the United States I was jumping up and down with joy, too, because the author has done a wonderful job building me up to this moment.

I love happy endings and this book not only gives me that with another soldier/dog love story it also shows me that there are people all over this world who care about dogs and really care about their safety and well being. I hope many people will take the time to read this amazing story because I don't think they will be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Dog at a Time.