Jess Haines's Reviews > The Nymphos of Rocky Flats

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from February 23 to March 10, 2012

For some reason, I started this book thinking it was the second in the series. Acevedo has been on my radar for a while, but it wasn’t until just recently that I had a chance to read one of his novels.

As the title implies, there are some women who are infected with a type of nymphomania due to something going on at a government facility in Rocky Flats. Felix Gomez, who was turned into a vampire during his tour of service in Iraq, is now a private investigator who has been called in by a friend to find out just what’s going on behind closed doors and what’s infecting the local women who work there with nymphomania.

I was a bit surprised, and in a pleasant way. Though you wouldn’t think so, the book is not particularly dirty. There is sex, and the sensuality of vampires does come into play to a degree, but overall this is not a book I would call raunchy. It’s something I’m glad of, because the title to this book (as well as the others in the series) put me off starting for a while.

Felix is something of an enigma to the other vampires in town. He doesn’t drink human blood. Though it is obviously draining his vampiric powers, he can’t bring himself to do so–even when he’s biting someone. This is very much to his detriment during the case as he seeks to find clues as to why these women who were exposed to something driving them to have uncontrollable sexual urges. In Felix’s world, vampires can also see auras and influence human minds when they aren’t using contacts to hide their strangely colored eyes. He notes that, every time, the color of the aura for these infected women changes when their “urges” take them. Though he could have easily taken advantage of these women in their more vulnerable moments, Felix is actually a pretty stand-up guy for a vampire and does nothing to harm or abuse them.

The story runs the gamut between murder mystery, romance, and government conspiracy theories. It was very ambitious in that it covered a number of plots and side-stories. Everything wrapped up very neat and pat in the end, and it was certainly not a bad read, but something I can’t put my finger on kept this from being a great read for me. Perhaps the humor was too pat. I’m also not normally much of a fan of war stories or anything that delves too deeply into the nuts and bolts of how the government works, so that may have had something to do with it. The flashbacks to Iraq and the guilt trips Felix embarked upon were not bad, exactly, they just didn’t interest me despite how vital they were to Felix’s growth as a character. Overall, it seemed to waver between taking itself too seriously and going the completely campy route.

There is nothing particularly erotic about this book, so don’t let the title fool you. If you like detective novels with a supernatural flair (that use crude/snarky humor as opposed to light-hearted), chances are you’ll enjoy this story. It wasn’t a favorite for me, but chances are good I’ll pick up the next book at some point in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nymphos of Rocky Flats.

02/23/2012 page 103
29.0% "Finding this strange and entertaining. Glad I picked this up, though I wish I'd noticed it wasn't the first book before I started. Whoops."