Ruben's Reviews > Liars and Outliers: Enabling the Trust that Society Needs to Thrive

Liars and Outliers by Bruce Schneier

Mar 26, 12

liked it
Read from February 23 to March 26, 2012

To be honest, this is the first Schneier book I've read, other than just excerpts or essays. I don't know if it was supposed to be like that, but there's so much theorization of the subject of trust (none of it groundbreaking), yet a good one. I appreciate the fact that is able to break matters like trust, security, social pressure and defection into more visible components, and at the end gives you a good insight on how to analyze problems about security in the real world.

The notes section is huge. I just went over the parts that caught my attention, but there's surely a whole lot more to read on the subject. This makes an interesting starting point, probably to other Schneier books as well.

I was a little disappointed of the too short chapters on present and future of security. In the last chapters he does nothing but repeat himself, with examples, but recurring to already explored concepts and theories nevertheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liars and Outliers.