Doreen's Reviews > Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor

Feb 29, 12

Read from February 23 to 29, 2012

There were so many good things about this book that it feels kinda greedy to want more. The setting is so rich with detail, and many of the passages come alive with the craftsmanship of Joseph O'Connor's prose. But I felt it was all a bit soapy, and wasn't terribly impressed with Dixon's contributions to the proceedings, which is especially bad since his narrative is supposed to pull the whole piece together. He was actually my least favorite character of the assemblage, especially when compared to Mary Duane and Pius Mulvey. The showdown between the latter two I also felt could've used more dramatic tension. I put any lack squarely on the fact that it was narrated by the tiresome Dixon, who was a far less talented writer than Captain Lockwood. I don't know if this was a deliberate choice on the part of Mr O'Connor, but it definitely diminished my enjoyment of the novel. Otherwise, a great read about the politics of the North Atlantic in the 1840s.

I received this as a birthday present from Bilqis Hijjas.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star of the Sea.

02/23/2012 page 17
4.0% "Can't help seeing the Earl of Grantham for Lord Merridith, d'oh!"
02/24/2012 page 68
16.0% ""[She] knew that this was love. The thing not said. The matter of silence.""