Heather's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

2098381
Apr 09, 14

bookshelves: ya, faves, 2014, ala-s-best-books
Read from February 27, 2012 to April 09, 2014

I have avoided this book like the plague for two years. At best, I knew the reading of it would cause me to bawl my eyes out, and at worse, John Green would maintain what had become his very formulaic writing style, that would un-doubtidly reduce me to exasperated sighs. Both proved to be true, and I loved The Fault in Our Stars all the more for it.

Let's get real, John's writing is a bit pretentious. His characters are mostly the same (fictional versions of he and his brother Hank). But another truth is that John and his brother Hank are ridiculously funny and interesting. They take ordinary, and often overlooked observations and somehow turn them into fascinating, or at minimum hilarious topics of conversation. I always enjoy his dialog and find myself wishing people actually spoke in such a way in real life. For those of you who haven't read a book written by John Green, you should be forewarned that doing so will require you to dust off the ole dictionary, and more often than not, he gets the mental wheels turning about unanswerable questions such as " why are we alive?", so be sure you find expanding your vocabulary and philosphizing appealing. These things both excite and tire me. Having to google SAT type words because John insists on writing characters who speak like overly educated, jaded old men can also exhaust me. Hence the other reason for my two year avoidance, but I digress because somehow, John's writing formula worked for me this go around.

Chances are, you've read the summary. This sucker has been a best seller for what seems like a small eternity; therefore, I feel no need to tell you this is a book in which the characters have cancer. Its obvious. And I probably don't have to tell you that this book grapples with impending doom, It does. But this book also made me laugh, often. And a wee bit giddy. It especially got those philosophical wheels turning.

Is this John's best work to date? I don't know.I hold a special place in my heart for Looking for Alaska. It became pretty apparent after reading all of his subsequent books that his characters do not vary, and in many senses, neither do his plots. But John did accomplish something in The Fault in Our Stars that made it feel less like his other works. For once, John's hero made me swoon. I have never swooned over any of his previous narrators and I think it was wise to make his narrator a female for once so that we could see his typical male from a strong female perspective.

If you want an emotional roller coaster of a read, or are in need of a good cry, this will fit the bill nicely. If you want a never before touched upon account of cancer, you should accept that such a book doesn't exist, and certainly won't be found here. However, having grown up in a family filled with health care practitioners and having spent my entire career thus far working in hospitals or for them, I have to say that I am wholly impressed with John's portrayal of what it is like to live with and die of cancer ranging from overly animated nurses, to picc lines and drainage tubes. Vomit, amputation, exhaustion. Anger about being robbed of the opportunity to live. Resentment towards your own body for betraying you. Sadness about all that you'll miss. And guilt about who and what you leave behind. I found The Fault in Our Stars to be poignant and thought provoking. I basically fell in love with it, even if it did make my face and eyes swell from shedding too many tears.

04/08 marked as: currently-reading
04/09 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ivan This book has been surprisingly polarizing for lots of readers but I agree with your sentiments. I loved it, and felt like it was an emotional read but not in a manipulative kind of way.

Was disappointed with Will Grayson, Will Grayson, which put me off John Green a bit, but I'm sort of interested in Looking for Alaska.

Carol I loved this book too

Heather I've observed that as well Ivan. I think that is often the case when an author choses to write on a topic that is so personal to many.

mackandlogan I have heard that this book is good! Is it true??? With 10 being the highest what would u rate this book??

Carol mackandlogan wrote: "I have heard that this book is good! Is it true??? With 10 being the highest what would u rate this book??"

Well, with 5 being the highest I rated it 5, so did Heather and Ivan...

Heather mackandlogan wrote: "I have heard that this book is good! Is it true??? With 10 being the highest what would u rate this book??"

Please adapt to goodreads, and not ask goodreads to adapt to you.

Carol Heather wrote: "mackandlogan wrote: "I have heard that this book is good! Is it true??? With 10 being the highest what would u rate this book??"

Please adapt to goodreads, and not ask goodreads to adapt to you."

LOL

Alexandra_Fox I cried so many times while reading this book

message 9: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine I want to read it...still not so sure if should.

kristina i loved this book

alycia pueschel I cried a lot and the comments you sent me were great