Joanne Clarke Gunter's Reviews > The Foremost Good Fortune

Mar 16, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: memoir-life, nonfiction-asia
Read from March 14 to 16, 2012

I did not like this book very much and it was a struggle to finish it. The writing is fine. The author is the problem. I have read a number of books about Americans, Chinese-Americans, and Chinese people working and living in China, but none have been as whiny as this one. And all other of the authors I have read on this topic found SOMETHING they loved about China and wrote about it. This author spends so much time complaining about the fact that she has no friends, cannot speak the language (even though she is taking lessons), no one understands her, she understands no one, she feels left out, her husband has it so much easier because he speaks the language, she hates the smog, cannot find the things she wants, on and on and on. Did she really think that most Chinese people speak English or that Honey Nut Cheerios are readily available? Then she discovers she has a lump in her breast which turns out to be early stage breast cancer and she and her family fly back to the U.S. for surgery and treatment. I wish the book had ended there. But it didn't. Her husband has to go back to China for his work, so she grapples with whether to return and does decide to go back. And the complaining starts anew, now coupled with her (understandable) fears about the cancer returning. I had hoped this would be a book that was more about China than about the many insecurities and fears of an American woman in China.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Foremost Good Fortune.

Kelly Stevens This book was more about family and her own journey through changing cultures.. You totally are way off on your comment .. I disagree and completely and challenge you to read through with less affection for those petty dislikes you had

Joanne  Clarke Gunter You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I could not stand her whining. Her journey included a LOT of whining. That's not a "petty dislike".

Rysin If you have ever moved or lived abroad you would understand the struggles and the need to "complain" It was incredibly accurate to the real opinions and feelings expatriates initially have.