Lynette's Reviews > Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

Feb 23, 2012

Never in my life of reading literature have I come across such a whirlwind of a book. I am not anorexic, but I know my way around mental illness and to say she was sick would be a VAST understatement. The book has a slow start but when she really begins to dive into the eating disorder it becomes a tornado of mania that was almost overwhelming to me. I think if anyone wanted to understand how deep and multifaceted a disorder can be they could turn to this book. 300 calories a day and her thinnest weight being 85 pounds was startling to me. The photos in the book however hold the most power. So so horrible, and I came from this wondering how anyone could triumph over a disease like that. Unfortunately Portia is very vague about her recovery, even vaguer about Ellen. I am not entirely convinced she is completely over her disorder, as 130 pounds is difficult to maintain if you eat like she claims to at the end of the novel. I hope she is safe, and being monitored by her wife makes me think she has a chance, but I didn't come away from this book convinced she was truly recovered.

I dont think it would be fair to criticize this book for its grammar or syntax, and I think people who were put off by that didn't really get the point. This book must have been a hell to write, and I don't think any editor would feel good about telling her to rewrite and edit her autobiography. When I ended the book I felt exhausted; it was about as close as I'll ever be to experience the desperate agony of an eating disorder, and I'm glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbearable Lightness.

03/17/2016 marked as: read