[Name Redacted]'s Reviews > I am Not a Serial Killer

Jul 02, 2015

bookshelves: horror, psychology
Read from June 26 to July 02, 2015

Wow. I just...wow.

A visceral, powerful debut novel which moves along at an impressive clip. I finished it in less than 24 hours...but wow.

I do not know why the publisher made the decision to present this as a YA novel because it was obviously not intended as such (EDIT: and Wells has said so on the "Writing Excuses" podcast he shares with Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal and Howard Tayler). The attention to detail is remarkable and a bit overwhelming at points -- the opening scene in which he lovingly assists his mother in the family-run mortuary, for instance, or the scene in which... Well, there's one scene about 90% of the way through the book which just does not seem like the sort of thing anyone should be recommending to kids. I'm still sort of in shock.

Wow.

ORIGINALLY READ: July 15th - July 16th, 2012.
SECOND READ: June 26th - July 2nd, 2015.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Not a Serial Killer.

07/16/2012
13.0% "I feel some sympathy for the protagonist. While I am not a sociopath struggling against his urge to kill, I too have strict Rules I use to keep myself from succumbing to my own psychological disorders. No guns in a house I stay in for more than a week; only checking that the door is locked twice, etc."
07/16/2012
39.0% ""Dark thoughts filled my head for the rest of the day, and one by one I tore my rules apart.""
07/16/2012
86.0% "GOOD GRAVY. I mean...just...WOW. There's verisimilitude, yes, but...YEESH."
07/16/2012
100.0% ""People like me...You'll never see us coming.""
06/24/2015 marked as: currently-reading
06/28/2015
3.0% "Decided to re-read this again, now that he's finally released a new book in the series!"
07/02/2015 marked as: read
show 12 hidden updates…

Miriam I think publishers basically insist that anything with a teen protagonist is YA.