Brandie's Reviews > Singing With the Top Down

Singing With the Top Down by Debrah Williamson

Jul 27, 08

Read in July, 2008

This is book was one of many checked out from the library when I was looking for some light summer reading. Although it was a quick read, some of the topics were heavy, but it was certainly reading I enjoyed.
Set in 1955, there were a few references to movie stars that I didn't quite get, but the story was really a timeless one.
Young Pauly Mahoney and her brother, Buddy, find themselves orphaned when their parents are killed in a freak accident. When nearly all of their relatives try pawning Pauly and Buddy off on each other, their Aunt Nora, a small-time actress in Hollywood, offers to take them in.
Pauly and Buddy set off on an adventure, "a vacation", across the country from their home in Oklahoma to Aunt Nora's home in California and encounter a number of people and experiences along their way. The experiences, some of them scary, ultimately help them find the meaning of family, and detail some difficult yet powerful memories that shape their lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singing With the Top Down.