Anita's Reviews > Unholy Ghosts

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, horror
Read in February, 2012

It took me forever to warm up to the premise of this series, but once I did, I really liked it. I had a horrible time accepting a drug addict as the heroine. So much so, I set the book aside for several months after reading the first few chapters. I picked it up again last week to give it one last chance and found myself really into the story after reading a few more chapters. The tone is dark, and I grew to appreciate Chess's internal narrative, depressing as it is.

In this alternate America, ghosts invaded our world and killed at least a third of the population before a little-known religious sect banished the ghosts to an underground "city"/prison. Soon that sect took over all government and replaced all religion. We enter this world a few decades later. Chess is a witch who works for the church, banishing escaped spirits and investigating (false) claims of haunting. The great big complication in her life is a pill addiction - I think to painkillers - and her habit gets her in deep with her dealer, who then manipulates her into working for him behind the back of her real employer, the Church. She could get in huge trouble with the Church for any one of her sins. Adding to the complication, a rival drug clan manipulates her into a little sabotage, and she ends up sleeping with the enemy and maybe attracted to someone else who could easily be assigned to kill her. The case her dealer wants her to take involves a haunted airport, and she soon discovers it's so much worse than a simple haunting. There are some gruesome scenes - not for the faint of heart!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Ghosts.