Danielle's Reviews > The Replacement Wife

The Replacement Wife by Eileen Goudge

F 50x66
Mar 08, 12

Read in February, 2012

This book is the perfect example of a book that I would highly recommend to people who like this sort of book even though I rather hated it because I don't like this sort of book. I'm not even sure why I read it, but I did. The story centers around Camille, a professional matchmaker, who has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and who most likely only has a few months to live. Her mother died when she was a young girl and her father unprepared to raise his two children alone following their mother's death essentially abadoned them to raise themselves. She does not want her own children to suffer a similar fate upon her death, so she proposes to her husband Edward that she find him someone to marry after she dies. However, the best laid plans do not always work out as one hopes as Camille and Edward find out during this journey.

My problems with this book were legion. I could not get on board with the decisions most of the characters were making and I really wasn't sure who I was supposed to be rooting for in the whole messy situation. I really didn't want to root for any of them. Also, the fact the way Edward was written to apparently be God's gift to women drove me nuts. It was like he was the only man left on the planet the way every woman in the book threw herself at him.

As I said, I think people who enjoy chick lit type books would probably really enjoy this. I am not one of those people, and thus I really did not.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement Wife.

Dinjolina It was blah even for chick lit... :)

Sarah I agree with Dinjolina.