Maren's Reviews > A Wind in the Door

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, young-adult-fiction
Read in January, 2012

The book is a very interesting Science-fiction book. It tells the story of a family who has already been a part of some pretty crazy stuff, as told in A Wrinkle in Time. The youngest memeber of the family, Charles Wallace, becomes very sick. His mother, a genius scientist, thinks it is because his Mitochandria are being killed. After Charles Wallace sees a "drive of dragons," which turns out to be a singular Cheribum named Progo. They also meet a Teacher named Blajeny. Blajeny is not your normal teacher who teaches in a public school and the like, but a cosmic teacher. He teaches Progo and becomes the teacher of Charles Wallace's older sister, Meg, and her boyfriend, Calvin O'Keefe when they pair up with Progo to save Charles Wallace. Along the way, they encounter Echthroi, with un-name things (this destroys them utterly) and gain another companion, the destible Mr. Jenkins, who Meg hates because he didn't seem to care about Meg or Charles Wallace. Blajeny introduces all four of them to Sporos, one of Charles Wallace's Frandola, who lives in his Mitochandria. Together, Meg, Calvin, Progo, Sporos and Mr. Jenkins go into Charles Wallace's body to get the Frandolae to plant themselves in the Mitochandria. They eventually convince them to do so, despite the Echthroi who are are convining the Frandolae to not root, thus killing the Mitochandria.

I first read this book in middle school after reading A Wrinkle in Time and loved it. I love that one of the major themes is love, and the power that love has. I think I also really identified with this book as a young adult because it was about Meg, a bright, lonely, shy girl finding herself and becoming comfortable in her own skin. One thing I didn't notice in the book when I read it in middle school was the christian principles that was in it. I think because what is represented is universally true, anyone who reads it will find it enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wind in the Door.