Mei-Lu's Reviews > Aftermath

Aftermath by Ann Aguirre

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: sf-f
Read in February, 2012

At the end of the last book, Sirantha Jax took the fate of the entire galaxy into her hands with a jaw-droppingly impulsive decision. In the appropriately named Aftermath, she has to deal with the consequences of her actions. What lifts this series above typical action-adventure science fiction series is that the smart-ass heroine never just gets away with it. Her actions ALWAYS have consequences. And sometimes those consequences smack her down big time.

This series reads a lot like a comic book series. It has arcs within arcs within arcs. It isn't just your classic good versus evil storyline with a big bad who is defeated in the end. Yes, there are big bads, and yes, they are ultimately defeated, but there are also always consequences and usually Sirantha is still dealing with those consequences when the next crisis comes around to kick her in the head. In my life I've consumed a lot of genre fictions (comic books, videogames, movies, television shows and novels) and I'm rarely surprised by a story. The Sirantha Jax series consistently surprises me. I'm not entirely sure this storyline will wrap up the way I want it to in the sixth and final book but I can't wait to read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aftermath.