Mimi Smith's Reviews > Shattered Glass

Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander

Jul 16, 14

bookshelves: mm
Read in March, 2012

Very fun, light, but at the same time deep book. A very good debut novel. My only problem were the bunny slippers. Huh? And how can that make you see you're gay? Anyway, I liked Austin and his quirky, inappropriate behaviour, Peter and his pain and beautiful soul and I adored Cai. Can't wait for his book!
Recommended to anyone who wants to try something funny, different, but that is still emotional.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Glass.

message 1: by Marina (new)

Marina This book is contagious!

Lenore So how come you haven't read it yet, Ma?

message 3: by Mimi (last edited Mar 26, 2012 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Well, when I read Lenore's reaction, I had to read it *g*. It's really good, you should try it. A lighter version of intense m/m stories.

Lenore :) I loved it. I wish I could write like that. And I, too, loved Cai. Though I'm more curious about Darryl's story. Just imagine what will come out of that mouth in his book.

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina This month I was "out" for a while and now I'll be reading LRb and Sacrificial magic so I'll be "out" for a little while more, then I thing I owe you (Lena) TA and if you allow me Dark Soul.....so I'm kind do tight on my TBR list.......

message 6: by Mimi (last edited Mar 26, 2012 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith I prefer Cai, he has a pureness and innocence to him that's so beautiful. Smart, lost and hopelessly in love :) Reminds me of Ian McKenzie. Darryl still hasn't won me over, I kind of like him, but...whatever. Besides Austin more than filled my quota for stupid/crazy/funny things to think and say for now, thank you very much. Tact, anyone?

Mimi Smith I'd go with TA first, Marina. I loved, LOVED it :D.

message 8: by Lenore (last edited Mar 26, 2012 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lenore Marina wrote: "This month I was "out" for a while and now I'll be reading LRb and Sacrificial magic so I'll be "out" for a little while more, then I thing I owe you (Lena) TA and if you allow me Dark Soul.....s..."

The Administration, you absolutely have to read. Dark Soul? I'm torn. I can't say. I love Silvio (the MC) to pieces. But I have unresolved issues with the last installment. I mean, don't get me wrong. The writing is excellent. It's Voinov at his best. It's the way the story evolved and ended I can't get my mind around. Or rather, I do understand it. It's the accepting it part I have trouble with.

Lenore Mimi wrote: "I'd go with TA first, Marina. I loved, LOVED it :D."

Score! I'm so happy you liked it so much, Mimi! :)

message 10: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Yep, it's great. I finally finished it a week ago, and it was a great experience. Dark Soul...I read the first book and...no. Just wasn't for me.

message 11: by Marina (new)

Marina Lenore wrote: "Marina wrote: "This month I was "out" for a while and now I'll be reading LRb and Sacrificial magic so I'll be "out" for a little while more, then I thing I owe you (Lena) TA and if you allow me ..."

Oh! And I owe Mimi the Outlander series! And we are talking about alot of books.......

Lenore Mimi wrote: "I prefer Cai, he has a pureness and innocence to him that's so beautiful. Smart, lost and hopelessly in love :) Reminds me of Ian McKenzie. Darryl still hasn't won me over, I kind of like him, but...."

Who is Ian McKenzie?

Lenore Marina wrote: "Yeap! I got your feeling from the comments you shared, we'll maybe DS is for later on."

You mean, you read my spoilers?

message 14: by Marina (new)

Marina Lenore wrote: "Marina wrote: "Yeap! I got your feeling from the comments you shared, we'll maybe DS is for later on."

You mean, you read my spoilers?"

You know I LOVE SPOILERS! I live to be spoiled!!!!!!!!

Lenore Mimi wrote: "Yep, it's great. I finally finished it a week ago, and it was a great experience. Dark Soul...I read the first book and...no. Just wasn't for me."

I kinda get why. It's not for everyone... Though the first story in the third installment was off the charts good.

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Lenore wrote: "Mimi wrote: "I prefer Cai, he has a pureness and innocence to him that's so beautiful. Smart, lost and hopelessly in love :) Reminds me of Ian McKenzie. Darryl still hasn't won me over, I kind of l..."

And Marina, I didn't forget. I'll be hounding you in a few weeks :D

Lenore Marina wrote: "You know I LOVE SPOILERS! I live to be spoiled!!!!!!!!"

:D You can go ahead and read it if you like then, Ma.

Lenore Mimi wrote: "From a historical romance... The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie. The hero is autistic(or something like that). Aspegers, maybe? He's so...open and different and sweet. He has issues and flaws, but he's just someone who makes you love him."

I see. Too bad I'm not very into historical romance...

message 19: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Yeah, that's what I figured :). I'm not that much into it either. I loved it at some point, but then all the rogues, rakes, spinsters and debutantes melted into one big tangle. Says a lot about the difference of these books I got myself to read them and found them unique.
Anyway, who cares. LRb tomorrow! Yay! Hope I don't end up disappointed...

message 20: by Marina (new)

Marina I like historical romance! I love petticoats and corsets! And teas and balls maybe I should read it!

message 21: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Highly recommended! Has surprising depth. And I like those things, but the stories are too similar, uniform. I need something to set a book apart, the characters, story, writing, Ms. Ashley manages to fill those criteria very, very successfully :)

Lenore Mimi wrote: "Anyway, who cares. LRb tomorrow! Yay! Hope I don't end up disappointed... "

Yeah, I know... I mean, I've read the spoilers and it's gonna be bad for us Qhuay lovers. But I choose to have faith. At least for now.

message 23: by Mimi (last edited Mar 26, 2012 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Noooooooooooooooo! How bad? Pregnant Layla bad? No, don't tell me. Arrrgh, I just want them together finally. Their angst distracts me from the main story. And I really hurt for them. They rock :)
And we shall see tomorrow. Hope at least Tohr and No'One are awesome :D

Lenore Oh, you don't know anything? Maaaan! It will hurt. And that's all I'm gonna say.

message 25: by Marina (new)

Marina Mimi wrote: "Noooooooooooooooo! How bad? Pregnant Layla bad? No, don't tell me. Arrrgh, I just want them together finally....Hope at least Tohr and No'One are awesome :D"

Do you actually believe that Mimi? That the main romance will be good? I liked Payne and Manny's story but I don't say it out loud!

I'm afraid that most of the fans are going to be dissapointed by this book as they were from the previous one.

I don't have high hopes so maybe it won't be bad for me (I really anticipate the sideplots).

message 26: by Mimi (last edited Mar 26, 2012 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith No I don't know anything. I made a decision to stay away from spoilers, I don't want to be prejudiced. So, when I'm pissed off, annoyed or in pain it will be purely mine, you know? But, now I'm having 2nd thoughts. Maybe being prepared is better.

message 27: by Marina (new)

Marina Don't do in the BDB thread! It's crazy! Almost post per second! I did earlier! Huge mistake!

message 28: by Mimi (last edited Mar 26, 2012 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Marina wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Noooooooooooooooo! How bad? Pregnant Layla bad? No, don't tell me. Arrrgh, I just want them together finally....Hope at least Tohr and No'One are awesome :D"

Do you actually believe t..."

I was disappointed with Payne and Manny, but I still hope/dread the book. They HAVE to fall in love thing is too much. So, not sure what my expectations are and I'm looking forward to the side plots more than the main one, lol.

Hope Qhuay is up next.

message 29: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Also, after Phury and Rehv, which weren't my faves came JM, who I love. So, anything can happen :D

message 30: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Marina wrote: "Don't do in the BDB thread! It's crazy! Almost post per second! I did earlier! Huge mistake!"

LOL, okay then, thanks for the advice. I'll wait to read it myself then.

message 31: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Okay, educate me - how do you get .25 of a star? I want to do this too, but think more in half's?

message 32: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Well, I almost never put a .25 star, just if it's less than a 4.5 star, I round it up to 4 and write 4.5, and if it's more the opposite. But here, I couldn't really put 4.5 stars, because of the slippers(lol), and some of the humor didn't work for me, ergo 4.25 stars. The rating may change after I think about the book some more. We shall see :)

message 33: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] I love it! I'm a statistician - or my line of work can be deep into stats and metrics and when I saw this from you a few times, I'm like, how on earth does she do this ... I, for one, appreciate it and just love how the mind works.

message 34: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith well, she just gets the feeling sometimes, especially in a series, or when comparing the book to another that had, a half and a full star and thinks it's something in between. And it's okay, I just have a trouble explaining, that's all.