Misfit's Reviews > Enchantments

Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison

Lots of pretty words, not much substance.

Clearly, this book is much too literary for my tastes, and I should know by now to look for that at the top of book promo and run the other way. This "what if" book begins with the death of Rasputin, and his two daughters are taken into the royal household with the hopes that eldest daughter Masha has her father's gift of healing. Masha spends lots and lots of time with the young tsarevich, and to pass the time she tells him lots and lots of stories. Stories about his parent's courtship. Stories about her father and mother. Stories about Russia. On and on and on until I got tired of skimming and yielded at page 186 and the book flew.

I guess if you like lots of pretty words and make-believe stories (how do we know what is real and what is a product of Masha's imagination?), this book might suit but I would suggest serious historical readers to give this a wide berth. By the time I quit, there was also some discussion between the two teens that was becoming a bit sexual in nature, discussions I did not care for considering the tsarevich's young age (fourteen), and I most definitely didn't care to travel down that road. The writing itself is lovely, but there just wasn't enough story to keep me interested in reading. Life is too short.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchantments.

03/03/2012 page 30
9.0% "This week's treadmill book."
03/04/2012 page 67
21.0% "Literary fiction. Lots of pretty words on a page dressing up the fact that there's little storyline."
03/05/2012 page 101
32.0% "Lots of pretty writing. Not much story :/"
03/10/2012 page 186
58.0% "I yield."

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Kobo has it..if you couldnt finish..not wasting my time..delete :)

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Sounds like one of those books with potential but where the author hasn't given any thought to structure. Which is strange because she's obviously a seasoned writer.

message 3: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit It might have worked if the stories weren't so damned boring. I was reading it today while doing cardio (skimmed a lot). If the gym had been empty I would seriously have flung this book across the room (since I can't do it at home without scaring kitteh).

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Misfit wrote: "It might have worked if the stories weren't so damned boring. I was reading it today while doing cardio (skimmed a lot). If the gym had been empty I would seriously have flung this book across the ..."

LOL!!! no dont do that to poor kitty:D

message 5: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Never. She'd have a panic attack :/

message 6: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I am so glad I gave up on this or my walls would never have survived. There's a new review up on Amazon(and very spoilerish), but this is the kind of spoiler most potential readers would be happy to know about. Quoting from review, (view spoiler)

Tracy I didn't like this book at all. The subject matter sounded so interesting but the writing was pretty poor. Glad it wasn't just me! :)

message 8: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Tracy wrote: "I didn't like this book at all. The subject matter sounded so interesting but the writing was pretty poor. Glad it wasn't just me! :)"

Not by a long shot.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Misfit wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I didn't like this book at all. The subject matter sounded so interesting but the writing was pretty poor. Glad it wasn't just me! :)"

Not by a long shot."

Thank you ladies..will remove from my shelf and hold at the library..on to better reads :)

message 10: by Anna (last edited May 29, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Anna Shame, I'm always on the lookout for a good Romanov book. Perhaps not this one then!