Andrea's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: z2012_read_list, fiction, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

*sigh* Interesting idea (audio confession on cassette tapes being sent from person to person) but something about the execution was off. I read this one fast, so I can’t really fault it for lacking suspense. I really wanted to know what the heck happened…until I found out.

On one hand, the voice in this one seemed spot on teenager. On the other, I annoyed myself at that age ad reading this was a nice reminder of how happy I am not to be a teenager anymore. I am not sure the reasons were great and I was sort of thrown by the twisted psychological dynamics as each person on the list and tapes waits and waits to find out 1) how they are involved and 2) who else knows about the tapes. To me, that was the most interesting part – the constant wondering by Clay of who else knew what. The ending and “reasons” fell sort of flat for me, but there were a lot of little brilliant moments hidden in the melodrama. I am sure something of this book will stick with me for a while so – three stars.
1 like · Likeflag

jandjsalmon I think you hit it right on the head for me. Super interesting idea... but by the end I felt the reasonings fell flat. I understood that it was a snowball effect... but at the end I was left with a bit of a hole. It made me FEEL which is a good thing, but there is some part of me that feels a little let down too.

Andrea jandjsalmon wrote: "I think you hit it right on the head for me. Super interesting idea... but by the end I felt the reasonings fell flat. I understood that it was a snowball effect... but at the end I was left with a..."

*nods* I always struggle with books I end up not liking but that at least made me really think about WHY I didn't like them, particularly when it's a case of "didn't like it as much as I thought I would". Also - good to see you on here. :D