Darlene's Reviews > The Shelters of Stone

The Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: audible, herstorical-fiction, horses, history, kindle, mythology, womyn
Recommended to Darlene by: Everyone
Recommended for: Anyone who hasn't read it yet.
Read from February 23 to March 01, 2012 , read count: Once but may read it again.

As with the others in this series, I listened to Sandra Burr on the Audible version while reading along on my Kindle. I have really grown in awe of Ms. Burr's narrative abilities. It is like I see only the characters and landscape in my head rather than thinking it is an actual person reading to me. How she can maintain the voices for each character so seamlessly, is baffling! I'd love to see her in her processes, preparing for each part of the story and each person represented. Just amazing!

Ms. Auel's story is still fresh and keeps me curious as I read. There are parts that are getting a bit over done. But considering that this book doesn't involve the travel angst that the previous books had, a stay at home boredom seems inevitable. Yet it isn't boring.

The evidence of research throughout all these books is overwhelming! Yet it is presented as part of the story. In this way, Ayla's story comes to life. You want to believe that this little family did exist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shelters of Stone.

02/23/2012 page 7
1.0% "What is with giving Ayla an Audible accent now?"
show 5 hidden updates…