D. Alexx Miller's Reviews > The Exodus Gate

The Exodus Gate by Stephen Zimmer

Feb 23, 12

The Exodus Gate, by Stephen Zimmer, is a modern fantasy novel that is the first release in the Rising Dawn Saga. The story unfolds around Benedict Darwin, host of a popular late night radio show that deals with the paranormal. Benedict comes into possession of a virtual reality simulator that turns out to be something far greater and more powerful than he ever expected. Meanwhile, supernatural powers from the depths of the Abyss and their human allies are working tirelessly to bring about a One World Government. They are also laboring to bridge the boundaries between time and space to bring back the Nephilim, the monstrous offspring of Fallen Avatars and humans that were destroyed in a Great Flood that occurred long ages ago. An epic tale of courage, hope, and adventure, with fantastical realms and exotic creatures, The Exodus Gate is sure to appeal to a wide range of fantasy readers. The first edition also features 15 full page illustrations by the artist Matthew Perry.

Review:

The Exodus Gate By: Stephen Zimmer

One thing that is important for all to know, this is not the genre I read frequently. That is why it took me a lot longer than it normally takes me to read a book. It is by no means a reflection of the quality or readability of the book. I will read this author again and again because the story really is that good.

The initial chapter titled “The Abyss” introduces you to some characters that made me pause in my reading. I was concerned that the entire book was going to be like it.

Excerpt:

Auras of shrouding blackness encompassed the forms of the towering figures, standing with heads bowed reverently in the midst of the vast, featureless expanse of ebon murk. Girded against light, their appearances were composed of uncountable small flames that never ceased to burn with a dynamic intensity. The Proud Sigils that they often displayed to herald themselves elsewhere in the nether regions had no place at this momentous instance, and they were universally absent among the mighty throng.

The darkness in this initial passage was initially off putting, but once I picked up the book and continued reading I was lost in this world. Time raced by like the wolf creatures depicted later.

Thanks to a virtual reality device, Benedict’s world and the supernatural are about to collide. What is going to happen? We have to ask the writer because this is just Book One.

One of my favorite things in this epic novel is how the author mixes social and political commentary with his supernatural world. Benedict lives in a world where “big brother” is on every corner. He brings a bit of reality to this wonderfully fantastic story.

Excerpt:

He gave a momentary glance up at the camera eye that peered impassively down at him from the top of a nearby street-light. Like the others ubiquitously placed around the city, it was networked with the increasingly invasive Citizen Safety Department. Most people have come to ignore them to the degree that they deftly sank into the fabric of normal life. Benedict never ceased to consciously take note of the monitoring implements. Snickering, he found himself wishing that the wind would blow the intrusive surveillance device right off the light and dash it to the asphalt.

The author has a very distinct, strong voice. His characters resonate with individual personality and emotion. I feel the passion he has put into every single word. Stephen Zimmer takes world building and character development seriously. If you love unique worlds, fascinating creatures and characters, and if you are passionate for epic fantasy novels, you are sure to fall in love with the worlds in The Exodus Gate.

One final thought: I can not forget the artist who created the unique fantasy illustrations and the cover as well, Mathew Perry. They are fitting for the voice of Stephen Zimmer. Kudos to Mr. Perry .

Without further ado… The Exodus Gate receives 5 of 5 stars for this Fantastic book

Another 5 of 5 stars goes to the Artist Matthew Perry for his Illustrations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exodus Gate.