Ruth's Reviews > The Captain's Daughter

The Captain's Daughter by Leah Fleming

Oct 24, 14

bookshelves: history

C2012. I suppose it was inevitable that with the centenary of the dreadful disaster someone was going to cash in on it. At the outset, I have to remind myself that I tend to dislike stories that revolve around the Titanic – the outcome is known, the history well documented and the stories told many times. Admittedly, I only have myself to blame because I read all the rave reviews without fully reading the synopsis. Just not my taste at this moment in time and because of that I started to dread picking it up. It is unfair on the book so I will try again another day. What's up with the title though?IMHO its a bit misleading as I was actually hoping for more of a story showing the impact of the disaster on the Captain's family. Ms Rachel Hore, the author of A Gathering Storm (sadly, I have not read anything by Ms Hore) has been quoted on the front cover “A moving and compelling story about a lifetime’s journey in search of the truth.” I did not find the story compelling and (what is wrong with me?) I did not find it moving either. FWFTB: Titanic, baby, friendship, bleak, Tuscany. FCN: May Smith, Celeste Parks, Ella, Marie Bartoloni, Roddy. “May must be helped to move forward out of this terrible pit of gloom. What was it all about? She was going to have to find out more.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captain's Daughter.