Paul's Reviews > In the Beginning...Was the Command Line

In the Beginning...Was the Command Line by Neal Stephenson

Feb 23, 12

Read in February, 2012

It begins with an entertaining walk down the memory lane of operating systems, although, having been written in 1999, it starts to get a bit dated when he moves on into the "present". Reading it now, more than 12 years after he wrote it, it's still interesting to see which opinions and predictions ultimately were vindicated or panned out, and which weren't or didn't.
He himself said in a Slashdot interview in 2004, "I embraced OS X as soon as it was available and have never looked back. So a lot of In the Beginning...was the Command Line is now obsolete. I keep meaning to update it, but if I'm honest with myself, I have to say this is unlikely."

Unlikely or not, this enjoyable quick "essay" makes me hope he does in fact get around to it one day, since I'm sure it would be just as fun to read, if not more so!

(My only complaint is with respect to an analogy or example here and there that went on just a little too long, but otherwise, it was in fact a great read.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Beginning...Was the Command Line.