VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Ever After

Ever After by Kim Harrison

Feb 11, 13

bookshelves: edelweiss, demons, arc, comedy, elves, paranormal-romance, review-request, urban-fantasy, vampires, witches, fantasy
Read from October 24, 2012 to February 11, 2013 — I own a copy

Like the finest of wines, The Hollows gets better with age!

description

As you can see, I present definitive proof that I've indeed read the book! And man oh man is it fantastic! It's my new favorite! I normally worry about using that term too loosely because it could diminish the potential quality of the series as a whole, but I genuinely think it's the best book thus far. Kim Harrison has done it yet again and all signs point to her doing it two more times, and in epic proportions.

This time the Ever After, home of the demons, is shrinking at an alarmingly fast rate, placing the existence of magic in a pretty vulnerable position; without one there couldn't be the other. So as if our favorite itchy witch, Rachel Morgan, didn't have enough problems, this just sprang up to #1. If she can't solve this one, she won't have any others. If she can't fix it, the demons want her head as her botched leyline creation caused this mess in the first place. And no one wants to see that happen more than her old buddy, Ku'Sox, the former day walking demon who had the misfortune to cross Rachel and lose. He even resorts to abducting her friend and goddaughter as insurance...and boy is it effective. Thankfully she's got Trent Kalamack and Algaliarept by her side to restore balance and take him down once and for all. But the price may be too high for things to ever be the same again.

I know there was criticism about not a lot happening in A Perfect Blood, though I personally enjoyed the old-school Hollows style mystery. But for those of you who didn't, for EVER AFTER I think a better question is what *didn't* happen! There was so much going on that I genuinely can't recall a dull moment. I think I felt and continue to feel every emotion possible, but I ultimately finished the book in pure euphoria. In case you needed a little reminding, Harrison presents really harsh realities and difficult decisions that prove she's an author with guts. I don't think I've experienced so many pulse pounding moments since For a Few Demons More (book 5). This book left me reeling like no other.

The scenes that take place in the Ever-After were some of the best of the series. The race against the clock really made this book so intense. Learning the history of the demons and the elves and the eventual degradation of their relationship was great, though I would have loved even more insight. I just can't get enough of it.

And that brings me to Big Al, who was totally amazing. Fans will absolutely adore him in this book as we learn more about his personal back story. He's much more prominent here than in A Perfect Blood and that's fine by me because he literally lights up the pages and keeps things exciting in his own peculiar way.

After having read Trent's POV in the bonus chapter of A Perfect Blood, I saw everything he did in a whole new light, and boy was it refreshing. He's got his own personal demons to work through and it really makes you feel for the guy. He is in a rock and a hard place, accepting his actions that have led to certain consequences while still working to find the best solution possible. I loved seeing him use more magic. I feel like elves have a pretty powerful arsenal that deserve more exploration, so it was nice to see Harrison skim the surface here with the insinuation of even greater things. Magic is amped up for the elves, while more human qualities are amped up for the demons, so it was an interesting trade off.

His teamwork with Rachel was one of my favorite parts of the book. The tension was insane and placed so well all throughout. It's seriously amazing to go back and read passages from Dead Witch Walking and then look at them now. Their progress is usually one step forward, two steps back, but the slow burn for this ship is probably what will make it my all-time #1 favorite if they end up together *fingers crossed*.

This book was just about everything I could ask for, but it wasn't 100% flawless. With so much ever after, elf and demon action, the story manages to throw in a smidgeon of development in vampire politics. Unfortunately it felt very much like an afterthought and briefly broke the overall flow. We know vampires won't get a lot of focus until the final book 13, so 10 or so pages of development came off a random at best and forgettable at worst.

All in all, this is an absolute MUST READ for fans of the series. Since Black Magic Sanction and Pale Demon the series has been invigorated and manages to improve as we reach the final stretch. That is a rarity for 95% of series that make it this far. I think it helps a lot that Kim Harrison has an end in sight and continues to write towards that. Many others have jumped-the-shark by this point. The Hollows is absolutely revving up for a grande finale and I cannot wait to be there.

*ARC provided by the author (cuz she frickin' ROCKS!!)

*Review also posted to Amazon .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever After.

Quotes VampireNovelFan Liked

Kim Harrison
“What are you doing now?" Al questioned "Seeing if your circumcision is gone? It is.

My expression went blank, and Trent hesitated.

He looked at me, and I put a hand to my mouth, face flaming. "Oh. My. God. Trent. I'm sorry"

"Um" Trent said, clearly at a loss.

"Call me tomorrow," Al said seriously, "I've got a curse that will take care of that. Unless you like the snake in a turtleneck look”

Kim Harrison
“She was only a year old, but elves grew up fast. Not like witches, who Jenks swore were not able to be on their own until they were thirty. Ahem.”
tags: humor

Kim Harrison
“His eyes met mine at the soft touch, and a chime seemed to shake the ley line, realigning the universe.

He was mine.”

10/24/2012
5.0% "How fitting that the LAST book until I hit my Reading Challenge goal is this! fangirl gif Pictures, Images and Photos" 1 comment
10/24/2012
7.0% ""Tink's little pink rosebuds, has it only been a few years? It seems like three times that." - Ain't THAT the truth, Jenks! So says this fangirl since 2005!!" 2 comments
37.0% "This book is SO GOOD! OMG!!" 9 comments
10/25/2012
44.0% "A certain someone who shall remain nameless for the sake of spoilers is just as annoying as ever I see..." 2 comments
10/25/2012
51.0% "What the FUCK did I just read?! I'm gonna have to take a break..." 9 comments
65.0% "Ivy rocks!" 4 comments
01/22/2013
99.0% "I read the ARC, but I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of red, fiery icons showing up on my notifications list right now... GET READING, PEOPLE!" 19 comments
01/24/2013
99.0% "Scrolling through seeing a ton of "currently reading" statuses for this with most of my Hollows friends. I approve!" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Liv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liv Hey VampireNovelFan! Just started following your blog. Love it! Should have started sooner!! I'm beyond ecstatic that Ever After is coming out in Jan 2013!!!! Aren't you? :)

VampireNovelFan LL wrote: "Hey VampireNovelFan! Just started following your blog. Love it! Should have started sooner!! I'm beyond ecstatic that Ever After is coming out in Jan 2013!!!! Aren't you? :)"

Thanks, LL! Glad to have you! I'm also super excited about an earlier Hollows.

Valerie Yoder-specht oooooh! yeeeeesss!

VampireNovelFan Valerie wrote: "oooooh! yeeeeesss!"

Lookin' GOOOOOOD!

Veronica OMG, can't wait!

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Cool! Thanks for sharing the love.

VampireNovelFan Lynsey wrote: "Cool! Thanks for sharing the love."

No problem! I hope you enjoy!

Jamie oh happy day!

VampireNovelFan Jamie wrote: "oh happy day!"

Indeed, indeed!

archdandy Argh! You're tempting me to read the excerpt, but I won't! I never read the previews that authors give, I like it all to be fresh and new. But I am tempted, oh yes..

VampireNovelFan Jen wrote: "Argh! You're tempting me to read the excerpt, but I won't! I never read the previews that authors give, I like it all to be fresh and new. But I am tempted, oh yes.."

Usually I have an ARC before the excerpts are even available.

archdandy VampireNovelFan wrote: "Jen wrote: "Argh! You're tempting me to read the excerpt, but I won't! I never read the previews that authors give, I like it all to be fresh and new. But I am tempted, oh yes.."

Usually I have an..."

Lucky!

VampireNovelFan Jen wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Jen wrote: "Argh! You're tempting me to read the excerpt, but I won't! I never read the previews that authors give, I like it all to be fresh and new. But I am tempted, oh y..."

I don't feel lucky quite yet! LOL!

message 14: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bev VampireNovelFan,k now i cant wait for it to come out in January ... That is way too long to wait lol

VampireNovelFan Bev wrote: "VampireNovelFan,k now i cant wait for it to come out in January ... That is way too long to wait lol"

And to think, we usually have to wait a whoooole month later too :P.

Linda oh i´m so jealous!! *grabby hands* =)

message 17: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Oct 25, 2012 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Linda wrote: "oh i´m so jealous!! *grabby hands* =)"

description

Negine "Like" times a million!!!

VampireNovelFan You certainly will!

message 20: by Liv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liv I am so envious!!! I can't wait for this book to come out next year!! Looking forward to your full review!

Shannon Cannot wait...seriously can't wait, I think I'm actually starting to twitch. LOL. How soon do you think you'll post your review?

VampireNovelFan I'm deciding if I should do it immediately or wait until about a month out before release. We'll see!

Shannon My vote's for now. ;) I registered for Edelweiss, but I think the arcs are gone. *Sigh* I'll just have to wait for Januarary.

Melody UpAllNightNovels.com I posted a very basic, no frills/no spoilers review for the time being. It definitely needs some time to process. LOTS of stuff going on in there. LOL! But now the torture is, having read the ARC, not having anyone to discuss it with who has read it lol!

Marian Can't wait to read your review") I am still processing and re-reading!

Veronica I vote for now too but that's my need-for-instant-gratification talking. ;-)

message 27: by Antonija (new) - added it

Antonija So excited for your review but take all the time you need!

VampireNovelFan Antonija wrote: "So excited for your review but take all the time you need!"

Thanks! Still debating when I should post it.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Publishers usually say no sooner than a month before on NG...

message 30: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Nov 05, 2012 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Lynsey wrote: "Publishers usually say no sooner than a month before on NG..."

Exactly. That's why I'm kinda on the fence. I'm probably just going to have it ready but not post it quite yet, though Brom was thrilled with my Krampus review coming up early. He put it on his facebook. I got a ton of hits. Besides, I may end up reading it again, slower this time to make the review all the richer.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian "I may end up reading it again, slower this time to make the review all the richer. "

VampireNovelFan Lynsey wrote: ""I may end up reading it again, slower this time to make the review all the richer. "

Well, you know, if you must. Don't force yourself to suffer for our sakes or anything:)"

If that's suffering then I'll do it any day of the week!

is mee... kissa Will I be happy with the amount of Trent and Al dosage in here?

VampireNovelFan is mee... kissa wrote: "Will I be happy with the amount of Trent and Al dosage in here?"

Absolutely. I give you the VNF guarantee.

is mee... kissa Sweet!

Sarrah JEALOUS!!!

message 37: by Kasia (new) - added it

Kasia Sweet appraisal of this story is like honey to my ears, happy to hear you loved it!

Timothy 2 books left to come that is bad thing about it.

message 39: by Clarence (new) - added it

Clarence Just so so jealous...

Faith Wow, so jealous you got to read this early!! Thats fabulous!

VampireNovelFan Faith wrote: "Wow, so jealous you got to read this early!! Thats fabulous!"

Thanks, Faith! I don't take this opportunity lightly. The Hollows is my fave which makes it all the more special!

message 42: by Liv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liv Erika, I'm just curious, do you actually have a review written already for Ever After and you're just waiting for the actual publication to post it, or is it still in the works?

VampireNovelFan LL wrote: "Erika, I'm just curious, do you actually have a review written already for Ever After and you're just waiting for the actual publication to post it, or is it still in the works?"

The review it just about ready, but I'm still debating if I want to publish it now or about 3-4 weeks from the publication date.

message 44: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher Now!!! :-) Can't wait to read your review and see what you thought about it (whenever you post)

message 45: by Liv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liv VampireNovelFan wrote: "LL wrote: "Erika, I'm just curious, do you actually have a review written already for Ever After and you're just waiting for the actual publication to post it, or is it still in the works?"

The re..."

Well, my vote is that you publish it now!!! My gawd, the wait is so torturous!!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep. Ever After is great, and it showcases the greatness of the series. It's so great to read the book and look back on all the books and the years of waiting and know it's all been worth it.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Excellent review VNF! I already "liked" it when it was just the picture but if I could I'd "like" it again, lol :)

VampireNovelFan @Madame: So true! I can't wait to really truly read it all over again.

And thanks, Lynsey! Can't wait to read yours, too!

Veronica Great review VNF! As a HUGE fan of the slow burn, I wholeheartedly agree with you about Trent and Rachel, but you already knew that. ;)

message 50: by Liv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liv Great review Erika! Can't wait to get my hands on the book in January!!

« previous 1