Anna's Reviews > Lost at Sea

Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from February 23 to March 02, 2012

I liked this quirky little book. The art is really cute and the story is silly and meaningful at the same time. And there's lots of cats. I love cats.

I felt horrible a lot of the time when I was a teenager. I constantly judged myself based on how I was different from other people. I was quiet and shy and tongue-tied because I thought everything I said was stupid or uncool. I could not speak to boys. Except online. There I was funny and sarcastic and outgoing and everything I wanted to be. Then I would see the boys I had talked to online at school and completely clam up. So I could definitely relate to Raleigh, the socially awkward main character who is painfully confused about her identity. It is hard being a teenager and hurts like hell....I think adults need to remember that more.

I also like the way nothing is really explained. Her mum? Stillman? How she got in the car? Everything is confusion and uncertainty; the feeling I know I had right through my teen years. This book was unsettling and quite heart wrenching for me and made me want to be able to go back and tell a teenage me 'JUST BE COMFORTABLE WITH HOW YOU ARE STOP WORRYING ABOUT LOOKING STUPID!' Easier said than done- for me and Raleigh!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost at Sea.