Amy Gonzalez's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: ya-books, social-issues
Recommended to Amy by: best YA books list
Recommended for: teens who like suspense, real world issues
Read in February, 2012

I love the feeling of being addicted to a book. The double narration between the Hannah Baker tapes and with Clay, kept up a suspense that I longed for. While I was reading this I thought of a handful of students I have that have chosen to research about suicide recently. Most of them already know someone who has tried. And don't get me started on what you can find on some teen poetry sites related to this issue-it's scary and there is usually a suicide hotline number advertised on the side.

I struggled with empathizing with Hannah but I think that may be the point. What she believed to be valid reasons as to why she given up, may have seemed small to some, but for her it was huge. And she did have some serious things happen to her, I just had a hard time connecting all of them as a snowball effect.

Soon, they will be filming this book as a movie with Selena Gomez. I hope the message of this book does not get lost in Disneyesque production.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kati they are making a movie?!? I wonder if it will be more horror than drama.