Brandon's Reviews > The Darkening Dream

The Darkening Dream by Andy Gavin

Mar 12, 12

Read from February 23 to March 09, 2012

I picked this book up because it has a pretty cool cover and it was free on amazon (was a 2 day sale). Thought it was worth a chance. This story surprised me in many ways. The following is what made this story great, as well as what kept it from 5 stars.

Wins

-Supernatural/Religion – One thing that this author did that most others do not have the guts to do is address religion and deities in association to anything supernatural. There is nothing I hate more in a story than when authors have a character say something stupid because they do not want to put in the effort to establish a world properly. As soon as a story introduces anything supernatural, it begs additional questions. These questions have to be addressed for the world to exist fully. This author did this wonderfully. Thank you, Mr. Gavin, for having the gumption to go there.

-Characters/Religion – Each character had a different religion or world view that effected how the character interacted with the world. This was so much fun. As a Religious Studies major, I really felt like the author did his homework and created solid religious foundations for each character.

World Building – The world felt rich and tangible. The author added just enough pieces to keep maintain the time period (types of guns used and the introduction of the motor vehicle). This was not just frivolous details. It really added to the challenges of the characters and helped move the plot. This was well done throughout the story.

Characterization – The POV changed regularly (which was indicated by small pictures at the head of each chapter, nice touch) and each character had a unique voice. Their personalities remained distinct, despite the number of characters in the story. They each progressed wonderfully, with one exception (see below).

Death – the author actually follows the character into death. This was very novel to me. Normally, when a character is dead, it is gone. This was very unique and added to the world building.

Monsters/Supernatural beings – The monsters in this story are wonderfully old school. Vampires cannot enter without being invited, can change forms, ect. Gods from other religions enter into the story with purpose and continue to build the world. The violence is all very fitting for the types of monsters in the story.

Story – (view spoiler) This was well executed and kept me turning pages.

Loses

-Character made a decision at the end that does not make sense. Through the story she is amazed that her deity would answer her prayer. She sees its power but decides to turn from it because she thinks is tests are “mean.” I am very sorry, but if anyone experienced that power, they would put up with the tests.

-I am conflicted on the ending. I thought it was a good end, though I favor the traditional sacrifice motif.

-The author slipped on some language. There were a couple of parts where there was some swearing/cursing that was random and out of place. There was some swearing that was used properly, but a couple of times it was so out of place that it broke me out of the story.

-There was some unnecessary sexuality. There was some very appropriate sexuality in the use of witchcraft and a succubus (both very sexual in nature). The sexuality I have a problem with was between two characters. I felt like it was forced into the story to meet a sex quota. The sexuality could have worked, but the way it was written at times was laughable.

I really enjoyed this story and highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkening Dream.

02/23/2012
35.0% "I like the characters in this. Very different from what I've read. I enjoy the religious significance in each of them."
02/27/2012
54.0% "This story has been very well written until I hit one chapter and the author slipped. There is a random bit of swearing and other curses that are so far out of place from the first half of the book that it jarred me out of the world. I am still really dig’n this story, but that slip was bothersome."
03/01/2012
71.0% "the story is really rolling now. There is a lot of depth. I sure hope the ending is everything i hope it will be." 1 comment
03/02/2012
91.0% "The ending was not what i expected, very different, fitting, but different. looking forward to see how the last loose end it tied."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I didn't win the giveaway. =(

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen You finished this, you need to write a review!! =)

Brandon Kristen wrote: "You finished this, you need to write a review!! =)"

I know. i have a lot to say about this too. I just need to get around to doing it.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen You can write it this weekend!

Brandon So GR is being stupid and won't post all of my review. I cut it way down and still not working so i am posting the loses here"

Loses
-The main character made a decision at the end that does not make sense. She sees the power of her deity but at the end decides to turn from it because she thinks its tests are “mean.” I am very sorry, but if anyone experienced that power, they would put up with the tests.
-Sexual tension worked between the two characters, but the way it was written at times was laughable and forced. There was some very appropriate sexuality in the use of witchcraft and a succubus (both very sexual in nature).

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I think it just hid the rest of ur review under the spoiler. I clicked spoiler, and then clicked something else, and the rest of ur review (losses) showed up. So its there...just not visible at fitst glance.

Brandon Kristen wrote: "I think it just hid the rest of ur review under the spoiler. I clicked spoiler, and then clicked something else, and the rest of ur review (losses) showed up. So its there...just not visible at fit..."

i'm a goofball, i messed up my spoiler punctuation. SO... i reposted my original review. thanks for pointing that out!

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen That's what good wife is for!