Linda Lipko's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from February 23 to 24, 2012

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)

What if per chance Shakespeare got it all wrong? What if the stars and fate really are all wrong. What if life, randomly deals a nasty drawl of the cards? What if when the spin of the dial occurs, some are left healthy and others are dealt a cruel blow of cancer at an early age?

What if two young teen aged souls meet, bond beyond their pain, reach out in the universe for each other, knowing that life is short for them and every day is precious?

What if life truly isn't fair? What if in knowing that fact, we reach for the stars, venturing forth on a path that is at times dark and yet can be filled with bright moonlight?

Oh, how I love this book!!! Without over sentimentality, John Green captured the essence of life, of grief, of risking and of the desire to hope for tomorrow while embracing today.

Read this book! You will laugh. You will cry! And, you will savor the pages of wisdom.

Five Stars.
Highly recommended!
3 likes · Likeflag

Melissa Awesome review! I loved this book too. I wish I could have given it ten stars.

Linda Lipko Yes, Melissa. I agree with you. This is what good literature is all about!!

Linda Lipko Melissa wrote: "Awesome review! I loved this book too. I wish I could have given it ten stars."

Thanks Melissa. I appreciate your comments. Often there appears to be an intellectual snobbery regarding young adult works. The Fault In Our Stars is one of those books wherein I say "Yeah, well read this and perhaps you will change your perspective!"