Morgan's Reviews > Life on the Edge

Life on the Edge by Jennifer Comeaux

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: 3-stars, 4-stars
Read from February 23 to 24, 2012

Born and raised in South Louisiana, I’ve only been ice skating about 5 times in my entire life. If there is the smallest chance of snow, schools and businesses close down for the entire day, and I’m lucky if I see only few sprinkles of snow every few years. Needless to say, winter sports aren’t that big down here, but that doesn’t keep me from appreciating the various sports, particularly figure skating. Every four years, I pop some popcorn, snuggle up on the couch, and root for Team USA’s figure skaters in the Winter Olympics. I am also a total sucker for figure skating movies. I can barely skate from one end of a rink to the other without busting my butt; therefore, I am completely mesmerized by skaters who can perform jumps, lifts, and spins.

Life On the Edge was a young adult romance novel about forbidden love and following your dreams. Reading Life On the Edge was very similar to experiencing my favorite figure skating movie, The Cutting Edge, for the first time. This novel was packed with drama, romance, intense competition, and a lot of heart. I was anxious every time Chris and Emily stepped out on the ice together, and I was hopeful every time Sergei and Emily were in the same room together.

Life On the Edge was a well-written, entertaining story. Ms. Comeaux did a fabulous job building the intensity of each performance. I bit my nails and prayed through every performance. It was intense, in a good way. Ms. Comeaux also did a wonderful job walking readers through each performance. Like I said before, I am not an experienced skater by any means, but I didn’t have any trouble imagining Chris and Emily’s performances. I could easily hear the crowd, feel the pressure, and visualize each move.

My only complaint about this novel is that I didn’t connect with Sergei as much as I connected with Emily. In my opinion, I would have had a better connection with Sergei and a deeper connection with this story if Ms. Comeaux had written both Emily and Sergei’s perspectives. I still rooted for Emily and Sergei, but there were a couple times when I doubted Sergei’s true feelings. Having his prospective would have eliminated my doubt.

Emily was a remarkable heroine. She dreams big, works hard, and follows her dreams. Her commitment, competitiveness, dedication, maturity, and love for the sport were inspiring.

I gave Life On the Edge 4 STARS (3.5 STARS). I recommend this novel to young adults!

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life on the Edge.