Nikki's Reviews > Freefall

Freefall by Mindi Scott

F_50x66
Oct 29, 12

bookshelves: an-okay-read, contemp, easy-read, male-pov, read-2012, reviewed, ya
Read in February, 2012

I have to say, this one definitely had potential. The whole diary format combined with the fact that this was written from the POV of a guy (it's been a while since I read one of those) really kept my nose buried in the book. Not to mention how well drawn out many of the characters were.

My main concern with the book was Isaac. He was the reason for Seth's depression and was the core of the entire novel's plot. Yet, there was hardly anything I could discern from the book about him. His character was pretty sketchy throughout the novel which is sad, because he's what drove the plot ahead. Not to mention, he was also a huge part of Seth's life. It was hardly fair I didn't get to know him as well as I'd have liked to.

All I got was that he was a jerk to Kendall - though I'm still a little wishy-washy on the details - and that he died of asphyxiation.

Seth though, was great. I liked the way Scott brought out all sides of his personality, his helplessness after Isaac's death and his relationship with Rosetta. Speaking of whom, was also a nice addition to the plot. Sure, she was like any other YA teenager but there was a quirky side to her I slowly got to like.

The dialogue, I thought, was brilliant. The Interpersonal Communication idea (which is this class that both Seth and Rosetta end up taking and is referred to a lot throughout the novel) was also nice at first. Beanbags in a classroom? Loved it. But by the end, it seemed a little forced. Like Scott kept trying to remind us how much the class affected, and to a certain extent, helped Seth overcome his funk over Isaac's death and his frustration at the apparent normalcy everyone else around him had undertaken after the sudden tragedy. Yes, we get it! I'd have liked it better if she didn't spell it out so often and so obviously.

On the whole, there isn't much else to say.

Really, the book had potential. It just wasn't constructed well enough with a lot of bits that were either missing entirely or repetitive. There was so much more that could have been explored, so many unexplained subplots. What it really need was just something to tie up all those loose ends. It was good, but it could have been great. Better luck next time, I guess.

Edit: I just read Scott's newest book, Live Through This and yeah, I guess she did have better luck at her second attempt. This one is much, much closer to the mark. Not there yet, but only off by a few inches.

Which is to say, it still left me a teensy bit unsatisfied with the lack of exploration of all those subplots (again!). Not to mention how frustrating the rather abrupt end was. But you know what, despite all that it's still an amazing read for all those of you who liked Freefall and all those of you who didn't.

Because Live Through This is really just a book about hurt, guilt and secrets. It's a book about how love can keep you going. But mostly, it's this wonder of a book that pulls you against your will into the most horrifying, haunting reality you can imagine, making you wonder every step of the way what's going to happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freefall.