Jaime's Reviews > The Strain

2200613
Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: do-not-own, paranormal, suspense-thriller
Read in June, 2009

Mom's Review: I liked this book a lot. And that really surprised me! I am not usually a fan of "End of the World as We Know It" scenarios, so I expected to read a few chapters and give it up. Though I am a huge fan of vampire literature, I'm probably one of the few that didn't enjoy "I am Legend" (though it was very well done) for this very reason. However, this book was so well written, the characters so clearly defined and the plotline so smooth and fast-paced that I hated to put it down.

I won't rehash the plot, since others have already done so, but halfway through the book I couldn't see how this could be made a trilogy. Yet, by the final chapters it became apparent that it could continue for two more books and keep true to the concept. Though I'm a fan of Del Toro's movies, I never gave thought to him as a writer. Plus, I haven't read anything by Chuck Hogan. However, if this is a true example of what they are capable of, I will certainly finish this trilogy and hope for more.

If I had any complaint, it would be the use of multiple characters with unusual names beginning with the same letter. I found that when one of these characters appeared, it took me a few minutes of continued reading to recognize which character was present. While this was annoying, it was not enough to put me off anxiously waiting the next book in the series. Overall, highly recommended to fans of vampires, horror or just well-written thrillers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strain.