Parvathy's Reviews > Son of the Shadows

Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: reinnovating-the-classics, fairy-tale-retellings, family-drama, chick-lit, living-vicariously, movie-material, please-pass-the-tissues, strong-females, broken-characters, feel-good
Recommended for: People who have read the first book and enjoy a dark fantasy
Read from February 23 to 26, 2012, read count: 1

This is one author that has gift with words and would not flinch away from writing off her main characters (Trying to bring about Reality in Fantasy). The worst part is that because of her way with words you think it is the right thing to do. They have served their purpose and now its time to move on. I am not the one to give away spoilers but I will make an exception here(view spoiler). This book is way darker than its predecessor as from the very beginning there is a hint of an impending doom or things waiting to go wrong.

The story picks off 18 years after the events of the Daughter of the Forest which unfolds from the point of view of Liadan the youngest daughter of Red and Sorcha who is said to be following in her mother's footsteps both in her appearance and nature. All is not well in Seven waters as the old evil is threatening to rear its ugly head and claim the lives of the daughters of Sevenwaters, while the fair folks are not too far behind. Against all odds it is up to Liadan to choose a path that can bring could bring them their salvation or an end to everything they all hold dear. Thrust with the powers of the Sevenwater clan (specifically that of Sorcha and her uncle Finnabar)Liadan will need all of her courage to help save her family from those dark forces and ancient powers conspiring to destroy their world. And she will need all of her strength to stand up to those she loves best and of course her one true love.

I admit Liadan is a likable character and I liked her probably more than Sorcha because she was strong enough to stand up for herself and fight for what she wants. She did not rely on the fair folk and their wisdom as blindly as Sorcha did and was capable of defying them at times. Lets face other than bringing Red into her life I don't think the there was anything fair about what the fair folks made Sorcha endure. The character of Bran though was highly confusing, granted he was abused and suffered a lot but most of his justifications lacked plausiblity. The love between Liadan and Bran was not that believable. Also there is a lack of a strong villain in this book because in this book most of the time it feels like the circumstances are the antagonists. There is a lot of talk of old evil at work and characters that come and go as they like. The writing style though enjoyable can frustrate you because the characters can never give you a straight answer and keeps talking in their cryptic ways. But despite the flaws in the storyline I was highly entertained and for that reason alone I can't seem to give this book a rating less than four stars and it is obvious that I would not rest until I have devoured all the books in this series. For those readers who have already read the first book in the series this book will not be a disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son of the Shadows.