Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > Imminent Conquest

Imminent Conquest by Aurora Rose Lynn

Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

Nicole’s murdering ex-fiancé has returned. Does he want revenge or a second chance?

After ten long years, Nicole Harris has moved on from the love of her life. She's newly engaged and has a career she enjoys. The only thing missing is the passion filled days and nights prevalent in her past life. Nicole loves her fiancé and is determined to have a normal life. The one time she fell in love with an over-the-top man, it ruined her. She won’t ever let that happen again. She would rather have cool nights with a boring man then ecstasy with a murderer.

On one snowy night, Nicole’s life is turned upside down. In walks her ex-love, James Carmichael, or as he is now known, Michael Karlisi. She's terrified of what he will do to her and even more frightened at what he will do to her body. Her mind is telling her to run away, but her body is screaming to run to him. The more she's around him, the more confused she gets. She questions his past and current motives, never quite sure what to believe. Now time is closing in on her and the tables have turned. Can she trust the one man she betrayed?

Imminent Conquest has many BDSM elements but readers need to be clear on the subject of forced seduction. Both of these factors are well written in the story and very readable. The forced seduction is in conjunction with the BDSM. Michael is a dominant lover and in their initial relationship they dabbled quite a bit into bondage play. Nothing explicit; he liked to tie her up and go a bit “caveman” on her. So when he's trying to convince her to take him back he partakes in their old games and he essentially forces the subject on her, repeatedly and at times not very pleasantly. I don't consider the scenes as rape since Nicole ultimately agrees to intercourse but some find the scenes a bit harsh. There's no irreversible pain and suffering other than Nicole trying to come to terms with her feelings for Michael. The BDSM is light so there are no clubs, whips, chains or paddles involved in the making of this story. Just a wee bit of He-man loving! The only reason I even used the BDSM label is because, the was bondage and submisssion involved.

It was difficult to connect with the story initally. Plausibility is a must for me. Even though I love fantastical stories, the beginning of this tale didn't hold true for me. The beliveability of the events made this contemporary novel read as a fantasy. The story seemed to drift off course when the POV shifted to a secondary character. Finally, though, the story started gel towards the end. The fantastical started to make more sense and become plausible. Michael and Nichole's lives are bittersweet but their happiness and love is real and well earned. The inconceivable maze these two must manuever to find their HEA is complicated at best but so unique and gripping I had to finish reading their story.

All in all, Imminent Conquest was an good story. I did find it enjoyable and I have no problems recommending it. Ms. Lynn did a wonderful job keeping the truth of the mystery a secret, even surprising me with her revelations. For that, I have to give her major kudos. Also, despite the POV change, her continuity is spot on. This is a complex but well developed story.

So the bottom line is, if you like mysteries that keep you guessing until the end and a hot love story that proves true love never dies, then be sure to pick up your own copy of Imminent Conquest.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imminent Conquest.