Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi's Reviews > Cathedral of the Sea

Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones

Feb 23, 12

Read on February 23, 2012

This book is one of the results of my long wandering around the library. Ever since I've read The Shadow of the Wind and then other Zafon's books I wonder around Spanish corner to find something like those books. (No, I haven't succeed yet, but I won't give up.) During that time I somehow started to dream about Barcelona. Spain was never my "dreamland" (that has always been Brazil), but after reading all those beautiful descriptions of Barcelona I have to say If I could choose where to live one of the options now would be Barcelona.
About the book, at first 100-200 pages I was really surprised and I enjoyed. But then it became long story. Still interesting but really long. I must admit I skipped few pages and soon enough I was confused among all those characters and their relations. All that story about cathedral is nicely connected with people, main character in first place.
Maybe I'll find this book more interesting once when (if) I stop being fascinated by magic and paranormal things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cathedral of the Sea.

02/23/2012 page 106
17.0% "opet sam lutala bibliotekom.. :)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

mkld If you want a good novel about Barcelona, I recommend “The City of Marvels” by Eduardo Mendoza.
In fact both The Shadow of the Wind and The Cathedral of the Sea have to a certain point been inspired by this book (written in 1986), and show some similarities. The City of Marvels is the story of Onofre Bouvila, a peasant who arrives in Barcelona and gets rich and becomes part of the bourgeoisie (like The Cathedral of the Sea). It is set between the two Universal Exhibitions that Barcelona has held, 1888 and 1929. The general atmosphere of the book is much more similar to The Shadow of the Wind, and you’ll find plenty of cross-references, such as the man who dresses as a woman and ends up in jail.
It is a very good book, although not as easy to read as the other two. To me, Mendoza is the writer that depicts best the city of Barcelona.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Hello. Thank you for recommending me that book. It sounds really interesting. It's not only about Barcelona but I also like many things in Carlos Ruiz Zafon's writing. I have to see in local library do they have that book. :)
Thank you. I really appreciate it! :)