Avry15's Reviews > The Flight of Gemma Hardy

The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey

Oct 16, 14

bookshelves: family, historical, inspirational, young-adult, reviewed
Read in March, 2012

originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

I haven’t read Jane Eyre, yeah, I know, you can’t believe me. But I live in the Philippines, and we’re not required to study English Classic Literatures, except when you majored in it in college. So, I have nothing to compare “The Flight of Gemma Hardy” to.

Even though this book is a tribute to Bronte’s Jane Eyre, I find myself falling for this book’s charm alone. I don’t need to compare it with the original classic, because this one is not an old classic, but rather a retelling of a great classic in another way. It’s something of a modern and revitalizing tale that is wonderful in its own way.

Every scene in the book is monumental and heart-breaking. The author’s writing is compelling and has this wonderful flow that the story is not forced at all. Iceland and Scotland, complete with their history and geography was also vividly described that I find it easy to picture the places and bring myself back into the 50’s and 60’s time.

The characters are unique in their own way. Some of them, you might hate, but this only makes the story real and engaging. The plot is filled with twist and emotions.

Gemma Hardy’s life was no other. She lost both her dear parents and even her uncle who took care of her after her parent’s death has suffered the same fate with the reaper. Unfortunately for Gemma, life was never as she knows it when her aunt and cousins showed that they are not nice at all. And a whole lot of adventure, tragedy and learning sprout in Gemma’s journey from a young girl into a full grown woman.

I instantly liked Gemma Hardy from the very first page. Although her life was sad and full of tragedy, her little light of hope can’t help but shine through in everything she’s been true.

“The Flight of Gemma Hardy” has its own beauty, inspiration and tragedy which it could be proud of. I’m glad to be part of Gemma’s journey of passion and betrayal, secrets, lies, learning and growth, dreams and friendship.

Ms. Margot Livesey is another brilliant contemporary writer and “The Flight of Gemma hardy” is another brilliant masterpiece.

Highly Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flight of Gemma Hardy.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Tamara I have read Jane Eyre (about a billion years ago) and I can't wait to read this book because Margot Livesey is one of my absolute favorite authors. Have you read her other works? "The House on Fortune Street" got me started on her. I'm beginning Gemma today!

Avry15 Tamara wrote: "I have read Jane Eyre (about a billion years ago) and I can't wait to read this book because Margot Livesey is one of my absolute favorite authors. Have you read her other works? "The House on Fo..."

I haven't read it yet..but I'll find a way to..
Jane Eyre's a classic and like I said in the review..-the two should not be compared..:D

Glad to find another Jane Eyre fan lol

message 5: by I. (new) - rated it 4 stars

I. I hope you read Jane Erye, now one of my favorite books throughout my life

Avry15 I. wrote: "I hope you read Jane Erye, now one of my favorite books throughout my life"

I should find time for that..:D
That book shouldn't be missed.. >D

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I also have not read Jane Eyre but I do have an audio copy in my itunes from the library

Avry15 update: I just read Pride and Prejudice...and I like it.. hoping to read Jane Eyre soon :)

message 1: by k-bookee (new)

k-bookee We do have "Noli Me Tangere", "Ibong Adarna", "Florante at LAura" and "El Filibusterismo" in high school. Hahaha