Kelly's Reviews > Just Jenifer

Just Jenifer by Janet Lambert

Jul 25, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: notabletofinish

I guess I'm just not a Lambert person! I've given this book multiple attempts and I'm not able to get through it. Is there another Lambert I should try instead?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Jenifer.

Susan Yup, you might start at the start with Star Spangled Summer. With Just Jenifer, you're coming kind of into the middle of a series. I know it says it's the first of the Jordon books, but if you start w/ the Penny Parrish (SSS), that's actually the chronological start of the Parrish series & Jordon series, which intertwine.

Personally, I thought Lambert's very best-written books were the Campbell Family Series -- and not just because they're set, at times, in a very-thinly-disguised Crawfordsville, but because I thought they were much more original & inventive than the other series. The Campbells are unique, quirky people, and I liked their uniqueness & quirkiness. The Precious Days kicks off that series.

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Kelly, I am not an avid fan, but I have enjoyed her books, so my experience may be relevant to you. I first read SSS based on Constance's recommendation. But it's a Penny Parrish story, and I did not love the Penny books. While Susan's point about starting in the middle is valid (keeping track of all the Parrishes and Jordons is confusing), I suggest trying Miss Tippy and Little Miss Atlas. I just re-read Little Miss Atlas and really enjoyed it. Tippy, Penny's younger sister, moves to postwar Germany with her parents (her father is stationed there in the army). It's really fascinating, and I like Tippy as a character. The later books in the Tippy series in which she grows up and gets married are good too.

I haven't read the Campbell series, so I may take Susan's recommendation myself.

message 3: by CLM (last edited Jul 28, 2008 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CLM I don't think adult readers find the same charm in Lambert's books as preadolescents; however, I believe one should only begin with Star Spangled Summer or Just Jenifer. I certainly will never forget the day I found Star Spangled Summer on my pillow (alas, from the library - it was years before I owned any Lamberts of my own).