Jennifer's Reviews > The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers: Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep

The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers by Elizabeth Pantley

F_50x66
Feb 22, 12

Recommended for: Parents, Parents of Toddlers, Caregivers of toddlers
Read in January, 2010

I love “The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers”! When my twins were a little over a year old a friend recommended this book to me. We had a unique situation in that my twins had special needs as infants and as a result, we never established any type of bedtime routine; we were pretty much just running on survival mode, everyone collapsing to sleep out of pure exhaustion late at night. Not healthy. Even though my twins were sleeping through the night then, it was very difficult to get them to go to sleep at a “normal” time. Really, at that point, we didn’t even know what “normal” was! So I was thrilled to read Elizabeth Pantley’s book on how to help toddlers go to sleep gently. I had other friends tell me to do the cry it out method; even a doctor (whom we no longer see) recommended a crying method. And there was just no way I could do that to my babies, especially with what they’d already been through as preemies with special needs. So this book was exactly what I was looking for and I found it extremely helpful, positive, and useful, full of great suggestions and ideas. Pantley is encouraging and respectful throughout the whole book. I loved everything about it. This book taught me how much sleep they needed and helped me understand what “normal” was and more importantly, what “healthy” is. The information about how much sleep children need at each age is just invaluable. It was nice to know what to expect, what is healthy sleep for our children and Pantley explains it all in terms that are easy to understand and includes the developmental and scientific research behind it. I learned how to create a simple and peaceful bedtime routine that we still use now, a year and a half later. And with the knowledge Pantley provides, that this is not a quick fix, that parenting gently takes time, it helped relieve my worries and helped me know that this was the right way for my twins and that they would get to sleep earlier and get better sleep and for me to have patience and keep gently working with them. And it worked and is still working for us!

Also, I should mention when one of my twins started having night terrors around 18 months old, shortly after we moved to a new house, I panicked. I didn’t really know what was happening and it was extremely scary to watch. I remembered having read about it earlier and of course, my box of books were still packed in a box, but thankfully I found the information on Pantley’s website and confirmed that was indeed what was happening, likely triggered by the stressful move. Thank God for Pantley’s advice on how to handle night terrors!! I have highly recommended this book to all of my friends and I urge all parents of toddlers to get a copy of this book and definitely keep it for future reference. Its a wonderful resource!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers.