Chachic's Reviews > Somebody to Love

liked it
bookshelves: galley
Read from March 28 to April 01, 2012

Originally posted here.

Somebody to Love is Kristan Higgins' latest, which I got to read in advance thanks to NetGalley. I heard from a friend that it would be better to read Catch of the Day before this one because the couple in that book reappears here. I agree, much better to find out how Maggie and Malone got together first. The main characters in The Next Best Thing also show up in Somebody to Love, they're good friends of Parker so you might want to pick that up as well if you're particular about that kind of thing. Although, I don't think it's necessary and I still haven't read The Next Best Thing.

I'm liking the dual POVs in Kristan Higgins' most recent novels - this one and Until There Was You . It's nice knowing what the two main characters are thinking while the story unfolds. I found it funny that even though Parker chose to be a children's author, she finds her own characters sickeningly sweet. She's an heiress so she really doesn't need to work and was beyond surprised when her series became popular. She donates what she earns from her books to charity because she doesn't really need the money. You'd expect someone like Parker to be spoiled rotten but she isn't. So it's not surprising that she's willing to do what it takes to survive (financially speaking) when she discovers that her father loses all of their family's money - including her trust fund. Enter one of her father's minions, James Cahill a.k.a. Thing One. In Parker's eyes, James is just a slick lawyer willing to do her father's bidding. She doesn't realize that there's much more to James than that. I liked the tension between these two. Parker doesn't think highly of James at the start but slowly changes her mind as they work together. Kristan Higgins' does a great job of developing the romance between her characters, letting them get to know each other first before they're willing to admit that they're attracted to each other.

Kristan Higgins' novels are light and fun - perfect reads for the hot summer weather that we're having lately. Like her other books, Somebody to Love would make a really good beach read. Even though I enjoy reading her novels, there's always something that puts me off and prevents me from really loving them. In her other novels that I've read, it was heroines being too desperate to find THE ONE. It was frustrating for me because I couldn't relate to the desperation involved in finding the right guy - hey, I'm single and you don't see me wallowing in my loneliness. In Somebody to Love, I got really frustrated that bad things kept happening to James. I mean he's a really good guy but people in his life kept blaming him when he's really not at fault. I found it annoying that Parker found it easy to think negatively of James and to hold him responsible for things that are beyond his control. I would have liked Parker to have been more understanding. I still found Somebody to Love an enjoyable read and would recommend it to anyone who wants a taste of contemporary romance. It's just that I've yet to find a Kristan Higgins novel to love (as much as I love Julie James' books).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somebody to Love.

03/28/2012
03/29/2012
11.0% "Time to move on to a light and fun read..."
03/29/2012
33.0% "Nice to see both Malone and Maggie (from Catch of the Day) in this one."
03/30/2012
49.0% "I didn't know The Next Best Thing is also has a connection to this book! I thought it was just Catch of the Day." 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Capillya Yeah! I hope you like it!

Chachic Capillya, I hope so too! Have you read this?

Capillya No ma'am. =)

Alex Great review!
And I agree, I was like "poor James" all the time, bad stuff just kept happening to him. And I didn't like Parker all that much, she's so mean toward the poor guy.

Also, the thing that usually puts me off in KH's books is the crappy moms/families the heroines (and sometimes heros) get. the moms, really, they drive me nuts.

Chachic Alex, I saw your review and I agree with the things that you said. Yeah, I really felt bad for James and I wish Parker wasn't so hard on him.

Hmm really? I don't think I've noticed the moms or families but you have a point, most of her heroines have issues with their families.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I love K. Higgins but this was not her best. I still love Just One of the Guys. My first and favorite read of hers.