Naoms's Reviews > Magic Strikes

Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: best-paranormal-romance-urban-fanta, fave-couples, library, paranormal-urban-fantasy, read-in-2012, shifters
Read from February 22 to 23, 2012

With this book, the Kate Daniels series went from "that series I'm reading, because my goodread friends said I should stick with it" to "one of my fave series!" Ok, so maybe that's a stretch, but since the books have progressively gotten better, I hope it will continue. There are a few series that I LOVED the first two books and then it just went downhill. I prefer what the authors of this book did, because I rather it start downhill and go up as the series continues.

This books starts with Kate running around doing her business for the Order. After battling gods and mythical beasts, her Order duties are not only boring, but leaves her exhausted. As always, Kate is dragged into Pack business. Jim has been keeping secrets from the Beast Lord and finds himself in over his head which results in Derek's beating. The story unfolds and unravels, beautifully, revealing the true villain and his motives. Literally you will be filled with tension.

If you grew any sort of attachment to the characters in this series,with the first two books, this one will be an emotional roller coaster. I was so pulled in by the drama with Jim and what it revealed about Curran and Derek. It's strange, because Curran and Derek do not appear for a good chunk of the book, but their presence is a tangible thing. Now that I have a little bit more back story on their characters, and their history, I love them sooo much more. I also think that Kate proved herself a worthy Hero in this book. The key to Kate Daniels is information, with the first book the authors gave us very little information and it was hard to read, but with this one, we got a glimpse into the major characters and their histories and it was so intriguing and they're all just epic characters.

It has always been my opinion that a story is only as good as it's romance. Whether it's urban fantasy, historical or paranormal, if you're going to put a love story in there it's got to be good. Curran and Kate are amazing. At the end of Magic Burns, I thought "I love this man" at the end of Magic Strikes, I was smiling ear to ear. I mean sure, it's not the first time an alpha male has met an alpha female, which leads to witty banter, sizzling attraction and denial, but there is something extra about this relationship. I cannot wait to read more!

I am not sure how I feel about Samhain. He went crazy during the flare and was forceful with kate and i get that. But, I don't think that his only interest in her is sex. I think he really likes her as a friend, and I hope she is able to forgive him. ALSO, when Jim spurned Kate and had her beat up, I was sooo mad, but I forgave him by the end cuz he's not a bad guy. Curran's reaction was great. His "future mate!" ahhh, can't wait. I think they're great(view spoiler)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Strikes.

02/22/2012 "Why are these covers so ugly? For such a good series, so far, I feel perhaps cover art may be impeding their success."
02/22/2012 page 122
39.0% "MY EMOTIONS! I love Curran and Derek soooo much more now!"