Melissa's Reviews > Wonder

May 19, 12

bookshelves: wishlist, favourites, books-that-made-me-cry
Recommended to Melissa by: Wendy Darling
Read on May 13, 2012

The funny thing about writing reviews is that sometimes it's excruciatingly difficult to write a review about a book that you didn't enjoy, but sometimes even harder to write a review about a book that you loved with all your heart. Wonder is one of the latter types of books. I finished this one in a day last weekend, and have struggled to find the words to review it ever since.

I first read a review of this book on GoodReads, written by the wonderful Wendy Darling, whose opinion on books I hold in high esteem. At the time, my library didn't yet have this book on order, since it was so new, but I immediately added the book to my TBR list. Once my copy arrived in the library, and I devoured it in a single day, I will definitely be purchasing a copy of this book, since I think it's a must-have for any library.

Wonder is a middle-grade novel that would appeal to any age group. I recommended it at work to a woman with an eight-year old son and to some of my much older coworkers. As Wendy so eloquently put in her review, this book can be recommended to anyone with a beating heart. It'll warm your heart, break it a little and then leave you with a feeling of absolute satisfaction and euphoria. After finishing this book, I immediately told my husband that all elementary schools should have this book as a novel study. If more kids read Wonder, I sincerely believe that there would be no more bullying. It's the kind of book that touches your heart and makes a difference. The kind of book that sticks with you long after the final words have been read. The kind of book that makes your soul sing and makes you happy to be a reader. The kind of book that comes around once in a while and reminds how profoundly we have an impact on the lives of one another.

I won't write anymore, since the slightest thoughts about the plot of this book have me tearing up all over again. But let me leave you with this: YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK. If you read nothing else this year, read this one. It's, hands down, the best book that I've read this year.

Review also posted at: http://writergrrlreads.blogspot.ca/20...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

05/13/2012 page 148
47.0% "I've just read half this book in one sitting. I can barely tear my eyes away from this book, yet I'm a little uncertain whether my heart can handle the entire thing in one day..."
05/13/2012 page 313
100.0% "Wow. Simply wow."
05/13/2012 page 313
100.0% "Wow. Simply wow."