Nathan Maharaj's Reviews > Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: fatherhood-101
Read from February 22 to March 19, 2012

I read this book a few months ago. Here's what I recall getting from it (which means it's probably the stuff I already believed that the book affirmed):

*Pause. When your kid does something that you think means they need you, give them some time to work it out before you jump in. Applies to infants as much as toddlers.
*Expect your kids to be civilized and they will surprise you with their capacity for civil behaviour. (This starts with respecting them as people, which is not the same as letting them do anything they want.) Treat kids like zoo animals out for a stroll and that's what you'll get.
*A child-centric home is dysfunctional. Parents were there first and they are the foundation of the home. Kids like stability, so keep them happy by keeping your relationship with your spouse healthy.
*Kids say they don't like things when they actually mean they don't know them. Keep putting the spinach on their plate every night, and eventually they'll be having salad right along with you. Be patient. Don't make a war out of it.

Recommended reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Bébé.