Sarah's Reviews > Team Human

Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan

Sep 18, 12

Read from September 06 to 13, 2012

{I posted this mini review on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.}
Also, vampires don’t eat food. You never get to eat chocolate again. Ever. I’d rather die.

Team Human is one of the smartest novels I’ve read in a long time. Linsey, who’s in the same subversive book club as Laura, Renegade and I are (we’re part of a larger club, but we don’t really read their choices), suggested that we read this satirical take on the teen vampire novel for our September book, and I am so glad she did.

I love satire, but I also think the best satire pays a bit of a loving homage to the source materials while also poking fun. Team Human hits that sweet spot perfectly. Mel, the narrator, is extremely distressed when her best friend falls in love with a vampire, and goes to great lengths to stop her. Mel’s voice is witty and also frustrating, and really fantastically developed. There are loads of shout-outs to vampire stories (I picked up on a few, but I’m told there are loads of references) that make Team Human a particularly fun addition to the teen vampire oeuvre.

The other thing that struck me with Team Human is that while it’s written by two authors, the narrative is completely seamless. There’s none of the alternating point-of-view that is common in co-written novels, and it reads as if it was written by one person. It’s very impressive. I will definitely be checking out other books by both of these authors—Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan is on my “read soon” list for sure.

Team Human is a book I’d recommend to readers who normal shy away from YA, especially paranormal, because this book is so very different.

Initial Reaction:
Absolutely brilliant!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Team Human.

09/06/2012 "Subversive book club pick!"
09/06/2012 page 20
5.0% ""Trashy undead home wreckers." *snicker*"
09/08/2012 page 70
19.0% "I'm really loving this. Really brilliant satire."
09/12/2012 page 164
46.0% "I have been too cranky to read so kind of stalled on this. But in loving it and have to get it read for Subversive Book Club on Saturday."
09/13/2012 page 268
76.0% "Attention: Laura! An out of tune piano just made an appearance in a critical scene!" 2 comments
09/13/2012 page 275
78.0% ""The triangle is her favorite shape. Also instrument." *snicker*"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaethe Next time you're looking for satire, I highly recommend Beauty Queens. It hits that same sweet spot.

Sarah Kaethe wrote: "Next time you're looking for satire, I highly recommend Beauty Queens. It hits that same sweet spot."

I've been meaning to read that one.

Kaethe The mix of humor and humanity is similar.