Jaime's Reviews > The Rediscovery of Man

The Rediscovery of Man by Cordwainer Smith

THE DEAD LADY OF CLOWN TOWN, SCANNERS LIVE IN VAIN!, THE LADY WHO SAILED THE SOUL, THE CRIME AND GLORY OF COMMANDER SUZDAL, GOLDEN THE SHIP WAS OH! OH! OH!, THE GAME OF RAT & DRAGON, QUEEN OF THE AFTERNOON These are the hallucinatory and strange titles to some of the strange and hallucinatory tales penned by Cordwainer Smith. Stylistically weird (he apparently based much of his writing style on classical Chinese fiction like THE ROMANCE OF THE 3 KINGDOMS) and full of unique word coinages and ideas. Planoforming. Cranching. Klopts. Underpeople. Girly-girls (A kind of gene-engineered geisha, frequently feline-based). Stroon, the immortality-conferring wonder drug derived from mutant sheep the size of houses. Chronopathic idiots. Pussycat space pilots doing battle with void-dwelling monsters. Aryan teenagers shot into cold-sleep orbit by their Nazi rocket scientist papa. It's ten kinds of weird all right, which is one of the primary reasons I read SF. Isn't it one of yours?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rediscovery of Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pete Young Hi Jaime,

I'm putting together a high-quality fanzine on all the Gollancz 'SF Masterworks' series of books, in time for Worldcon this year in London in August, and my plan is for each book to have a variety of commentary from readers and authors.

I particularly liked this commentary on Goodreads of Cordwainer Smith's 'The Rediscovery of Man', and it's exactly the kind of thing I'm after. May I have your permission to reproduce it alongside the book (with full attribution, of course, and a link back to your website)? This is for a freely distributed PDF fanzine, so I will not be profiting from its use.

My background: I'm a two-time winner of the UK's Nova Award for the SF fanzine 'Zoo Nation', and also a frequent guest editor of the Hugo-nominated fanzine 'Journey Planet'. I also edit the fanzine 'Big Sky', possibly the first SF fanzine from Thailand.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,