Jody's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Feb 24, 2012

bookshelves: book-club
Read in February, 2012

This was a tough read, both in subject matter and style. Shriver's writing is dense and, at times, complicated--there is no skimming through to pick up the highlights here. It seemed to get easier as it went along, though, either because her prose became more minimalist or I got used to her style, I'm not sure.

The subject matter is much tougher to plow through than the style, though. Kevin is a problem child from birth, an honest-to-goodness sociopath at six, and a mass murderer by fifteen. Is it genes? Parenting? A combination of both? While it's easy to see where both Eva and Franklin make parenting mistakes (many, many mistakes), it's hard to know if total a about face for either of them would've made a difference. It's frightening to realize that sometimes there is no reason for evil, no way to see it coming.

I read this for my book club, and this will be a perfect book for that setting. There's a lot to discuss and argue about here, so I can't wait to see what every one else thinks.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Julie Great review--very well-said! I had a lot of the same sentiments.