Vegantrav's Reviews > The Book of Lies

The Book of Lies by Mary Horlock

Feb 22, 12

Read in February, 2012

We learn from the very beginning that our narrator, Catherine, has killed someone, her former friend, Nicolette. Catherine leads us through the twists and turns that have resulted in Nic's death in this fascinating and slightly morbid first-hand account of her life as an adolescent girl on Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands between the UK and France.

Sprinkled between Catherine's narrative is the story of Guernsey's history during World War II, when it was occupied by the Nazis. This secondary tale is told largely in the voice of Catherine's uncle but also through her father's eyes, and Catherine's family's past history ties, although, quite honestly, only rather tangentially, into Catherine's contemporary circumstances.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this novel. It was a very quick read that easily held my attention throughout. The author, Mary Horlock, does an exceptional job of giving an authentic voice--a voice oftentimes petty and mean but also brave and curious and even frightened--to her protagonist. This is a great novel of of adolescent angst and emotion.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lies.