Joanna's Reviews > The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement

The Social Animal by David  Brooks

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, economics, behavioral-economics, education, history, non-fiction, parenting, psychology, science
Recommended to Joanna by: Roxanne Hayes
Read from February 22 to 28, 2012

Loved this book from cover to cover. I am always fascinated by the sort of studies presented in this book, so that obviously motivated the 5-star vote. I liked Brooks' use of characters to tell a coherent story about what is ultimately an executive summary of hundreds of scientific, economic, behavioral, psychological, and neurological research reports. For example, as his characters grow up, he weaves in studies on education, adolescence, parenting, motivation, etc. The plot is not what drives the book, but the characters provide a nice framework through which to dump thousands of pages' worth of interesting data into your brain, all in one nice (much smaller and more accessible) package.

Fascinating stuff! Well worth it for anyone interested in modern research in the social sciences, or simply in how and why we do the things we do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Social Animal.