Carrie Kellenberger's Reviews > Howl's Moving Castle

2048986
Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: children-s-literature, fantasy
Read from February 22 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

A friend lent me this book a few months ago and it's been sitting on my 'to read' shelf ever since. A hatter's daughter, witches, wizards, magic, fire demons and a moving castle make this story an absolute delight and I'm sorry now that I didn't pick it up sooner.

The story is centered around a hatter's daughter named Sophie who makes the most wonderful creations and ends up attracting the attention of a wicked witch in the area, who turns her into an old woman. Sophie runs away to Howl's moving castle with the intention of gaining the wizard Howl's help in reversing the spell. While waiting for Howl to return home, she strikes a bargain with the fire demon Calcifer, and agrees to break the contract he is under with Howl in return for his help in turning her into her old self again. Sophie ends up moving into Howl's castle and the adventures begin. Does Sophie convince Howl to reverse the spell? Does she break Calcifer's contract? You'll have to find out for yourself!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howl's Moving Castle.