Tim Hicks's Reviews > Saints Astray

Saints Astray by Jacqueline Carey

Feb 22, 12

Read in February, 2012

The further I got into this the less I liked it. Volume 1 had some interesting concepts and characters and conflicts. This one makes Danielle Steel seem like Jorge Luis Borges. Perhaps someone who reads Harlequins can tell us how close this is to one of theirs.

I suppose I should reflect the book by having 20% of this review be "ooh baby I can't wait to ..ahh!" I have problem with having such scenes in the book, but there are way too many, and they're sickly sweet.

Loup shows flickers of being interesting, but ends up as boring. Terry Pratchett's Captain Carrot is just as pure of heart and nearly as capable, but manages to be as interesting as Loup isn't.

Magnus is, of course, The World's Most Interesting Man, right out of the commercial. Feh.

The job with Magnus makes sense. The gig with Kate doesn't, but I guess we had to have some way to set up the Big Scene near the end.

In their constant success at everything, the two leads fail the Mary Sue test. Especially Pilar's shooting.

And there's no real suspense. It's telegraphed pretty early that everything's going to work out Just Fine.

The clothes shopping really did it. Right out of the reality-TV makeover trope. I almost typed "tripe" - which is appropriate.

Oh, this book could have been such a rich chocolate torte. But in the end it was a cheap supermarket cake, with cloying icing and an error in the inscription.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saints Astray.