Ariana's Reviews > What's Left of Me

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Mar 20, 2015

bookshelves: 2012, dystopia, arc-galley-or-author, series, by-color-gray-ish
Read from August 27 to 28, 2012

THE GOOD

The concept:
I won’t tell you how unique the idea is, because you see, I’ve read The Host a while ago and 2 souls in one body, one not fading away is not really something new for me. But a story doesn’t need 100% originality to be a good story. It needs to to have an interesting plot that makes you turn page after page, it needs a pack of great characters to make you wish to know more about them, it needs an intrigue to keep you up all night reading and it needs a great ending that might make you want to read the next book (because yeah, this is a series).

But what I liked the most was the emotional writing.
I loved how close Abbie and Eva were. You could always tell them apart because deep inside they were as different as twins can be, as siblings can be, as people can be.
I loved how I could relate with both of them, how I wished for them to find a way to be happy sharing the same body, I loved how both made an impression on me – they were like 2 different sides of the same coin. You wouldn’t want one without the other. You couldn’t choose whom to stay, whom to fade away. They were both right even when they wanted different things (incompatible even) and it broke my heart to see how one’s happiness brought unhappiness for the other.

I understood Addie, yes she was a bit selfish at times, but all she wanted was a normal life.
She also cared for Eva and when she gave her the one thing that made her happy (a tiny bit of control) they got into trouble – didn’t she have the right to be angry? Also the relationship between Ryan and Eva was a struggle for her, she didn’t want to have anything to do with Devon/Ryan and Hally/Lissa, but she quite had no choice and I can understand her side in this.

The cover:
Oh, it is so beautiful. I should have started with it as it grabbed my attention from the first moment I saw it, and it has so much to do with the storyline. Wonderful indeed!

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

To put it simple: the second half of the book.

As emotional as the first half was for me, the second one left me in a state of indifference.
I don’t like it when things are made simple for the main characters and they don’t do much hard work to stay out of trouble or to manage to get out of a tough situation (the “escaping” was poorly managed and it left me with a bit of a biter taste).

Even the love story seemed forced, it happened too quick and without much background. The two characters involved didn’t spend enough time together to really know each other before everything started to fall appart so I couldn’t relate with their emotions at all. Add to this the fact that we have 2 souls in both bodies and it will make for a quite awkward situation.

Still, I did enjoy this book and I might even get to read the next one when it comes out.
There were some predictible moments, but they didn’t take away the pleasure of reading this story. There are still many questions to be answered, but I guess we’ll find more in the sequel.

Hope you’ll enjoy it too.
Happy midnight reading!

* This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Booklikes | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Left of Me.

08/27
30.0% "I know, i should be reading other books, but i never do what i should ;)) anyways, this story is so far mind-blowing! I love the premise, the characters.. everything!" 2 comments
08/23 marked as: read

message 1: by Bridget (new)

Bridget This kind of reminds me of Incarnate...Going by just the summary alone...I know its not exactly the same but with the 'souls', them being 'put away' for being different...Seems kind of interesting..I might try to read it... :-)

Ariana The two souls in one body reminded me of "The Host", but off course the story is nothing alike. I loved the premise and all the complications that came with it. I still have many questions and I am wondering what might happen in the next one now, but it's a great story and i hope that you will enjoy it too.

message 3: by Bridget (new)

Bridget I tried to read "The Host" and couldn't get into it at the time. I said I would try again one day. I guess it's the souls thing & the fact that she/they are kind of like outsiders b/c of their/her situation..Like the girl in Incarnate...But, thats just going by the summary..I guess I need to read it to find out more. :-)