Tranna Foley's Reviews > The Murderer's Daughters

The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers

Feb 22, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

Interesting and disturbing book. Characters felt very real and I found myself rooting for them. The book follows the girls as they grow up and it was intriguing to see how this tragedy made them into very different people (from each other).

Booklist Review:
The childhoods of 10-year-old Lulu and her 5-year-old sister, Merry, were over the day their father stabbed their mother to death. With the evil man behind bars, the girls are sent to a nightmarish orphanage. They're eventually taken in by a kind and well-to-do foster family, but neither can shake the terrifying memory of their mother's last moments on earth. Narrated alternately by Lulu and Merry, Meyers' novel examines the ramifications of a single traumatic event as two siblings grow into adulthood. Lulu, who is studying to be a doctor, wants nothing to do with her father; she hopes he rots in prison. Merry, who moves from job to job and man to man, regularly visits him (even though he also stabbed her in the throes of rage). Toward the end, both Lulu and Merry seem to have come to terms with their pasts. Then the unimaginable happens: their father is released from jail. Despite occasionally slipping into melodrama, Meyers' debut novel inspired by her experiences working with victims of domestic abuse starts out strong and displays a talented writer worth watching as she develops.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murderer's Daughters.

Karen well I wished you would put "spoiler alert" because I am half way through and couldn't wait to find out if their father ever gets of or prison. Well, now I know before I finished the book.