Faith's Reviews > The Last Hope

The Last Hope by Erin Hunter

May 15, 12

bookshelves: animals, favorites
Read from May 09 to 15, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Great StarClan! Warriors is over! Well, in a way. I never thought I would see this day. I read this book in three days, and could barely put it down.

How many times did I cry during this book? Hmm, let's recount those memories!

1. When Hollyleaf died saving Ivypool from Hawkfrost. I was sobbing there. I felt so bad because Hollyleaf was by favorite cat and she didn't deserve to die that way!

2. When Ferncloud died. Oh my god, this was so depressing! First the kits were talking about her. "Why is Ferncloud asleep?" and then "Dustpelt will wake her up!" And then Dustpelt comes over and starts sobbing! I felt so bad even though I hated Dustpelt. He and Ferncloud were like rabbits throughout the books. XD

3. When Spottedleaf died. Spottedleaf was never my favorite cat, like Dustpelt. Spottedleaf reminded me of a Mary-Sue, and I'm a FireXSand fan, so I REALLY don't like her. Still, Firestar's reaction was heart-breaking. At least Sandstorm won't have anymore competition.

4. Firestar's death. Firestar was pretty much one of my favorite cats of all time for various reasons. One, he was awesome. Two, he was a great leader and always put his Clan first. He was not afraid to disobey the warrior code when he felt the need to, and he was a great warrior. Three, the series began with Firestar, and now it has ended with Firestar. Firestar started it all. Can anyone forget the point of view of Rusty in Into the Wild we've read so many moons ago? Can anyone forget how he befriened Yellowfang and became a hero? Can anyone forget how he exposed Tigerclaw and became deputy? Can you forget how he earned the love of Sandstorm, a cat that once hated him? How he defeated Scourge, saved the forest, and had kits with the love of his life? Firestar is Warriors. Without him, we would not have the wonderful series we know and love.

5. The final paragraph.

"There will be three cats, kin of your kin, with the power of the stars in their paws. They will find a fourth cat, and the battle between light and dark will be won. A new leader will rise from the shadows of his death, and the Clans will survive beyond the memories of his memories. This is how it always has been, and how it always will be.

If that is not a depressing sentence reminding you that the series you've read since you were in like the fourth or fifth grade is over, I don't know what is. I'm almost a freshmen now, and I've read these books since the fourth grade. Now that they're over... Well I don't know what to do! I mean I know that there is a new series called the Dawn of the Clans, but I will miss the characters.

Firestar, Graystripe, Sandstorm, Whitestorm, Bluestar, Lionblaze, Jayfeather, Ivypool... Hell, even Dovewing... I know that I've complained about Dovewing in the past. The truth is, I can't stand her. She annoys me continously and I just find her to be very stupid and selfish, especially in the first three books of the Omen of the Stars saga. I don't know... But I'll miss them! And Yellowfang, Cinderpelt/heart, Crookedstar, all them...

Okay, now down to other stuff. I felt that some of the deaths of the Dark Forest cats were very rushed. I mean... Brokenstar was supposed to be a freakin' monster and all of a sudden Yellowfang, A MEDICINE CAT, runs up outta nowhere and grabs his neck... And then Crowfeather confronting Breezepelt was just... very cliche... Firestar's death confused me, anyone else? I mean, did a tree fall on him, or did he catch on fire? I mean, they said that lightning struck the beech tree that had fallen in the camp soo.... how'd he die? If you know how, message me, or reply to me! :D

Oh my StarClan, the errors! Again, I saw many mistakes. Ivypool was referred to as a black cat once, the Dark Forest warriors were called DarkClan cats... Ugh. Warriors books have tons of errors, it's not even funny. God, if you read the Super Editions and you're a Grammar Nazi like myself, you should take a deep breath. I wonder if they proof-read their books? I mean, I love the writing and the stories, and the characters... They're well-written to an extent, but at the same time, there are many, many errors.

Overall, I liked this book, but I felt like it was a tear-jerker, and there were many mistakes and some of the deaths were unexplained and cliche. It seemed like anything adn everything was made right in this book. I mean, I can understand since it's the last book. It fell slightly short of my expectations, but not enough where I'm very disappointed. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Hope.

05/12/2012 page 1