JC Andrew's Reviews > Degree of Guilt

Degree of Guilt by Richard North Patterson

1361969
Jul 24, 08

I agree with a Washington's Post review I read stating that this book was "one intense courtroom dash after another…an intelligent and gripping thriller".

I enjoy courtroom drama and Richard North Patterson really knows how to get you involved in the drama. The author studied fiction writing at the University of Alabama but he makes you believe that he has practical law experience. The courtroom drama is so real to life.

The story centers on a well-known and successful female journalist named Mary Carelli who is charged with the murder of Mark Ransom, a novelist. She claims that Mark tried to rape her so she was only defending herself. Her attorney and father of her child, Christopher Paget, attempts to display Mark as a sexual freak who was in a habit of demeaning women and abusing them.

Mary, however, is carrying a secret of her own. A secret that may have bearing on her case. Something that Christopher Paget believes she is keeping as the case unravels. Even though I felt for her character, because she was keeping information from her lawyer, it made you wonder if she didn't have a hidden agenda.

That's the beauty of being an avid reader because you can delve into so many genres to find out what you enjoy reading. This was a definite page-turner and as you found out more information about Mary Carelli's murder trial, it became more shocking with the turn of events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Degree of Guilt.